Managed Folder Mailbox Policy and Archive Feature

• Thread starter slammers25
  • Start date Views 954
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slammers25

It appears that you cannot have a Manage Folder policy applied to a mailbox AND have Archive enabled. I'm testing our managed folder policy that moves emails from the Inbox and Sent Items to the Deleted Items folder after 180 days. Then permanently removed from the Deleted Items after 30 more days. That works fine.

However when I then try to turn on Archiving for a mailbox that has the mailbox policy applied to it, Exchange says you can't have both. Is there a way that I can have both features in some policy?

We want to enforce our Retention Policy but at the sametime give users the ability to move other emails into the online archive. Is this doable?

thanks,

Stephenb

M

Mike Pfeiffer

Yes it is possible, but you'll want to use retention tags and retention policies instead.

S

slammers25

Yes it is possible, but you'll want to use retention tags and retention policies instead.

I'm researching retention tags and policies now. So I take it that Retention polices are different than Managed Folder policies. So if I use a Retention Policy instead of a Managed Folder Policy for the Inbox, Sent Items and Deleted Items, then I can also turn on the Archive Feature for the same mailbox?

thanks,

Stephen

M

Mike Pfeiffer

I'm researching retention tags and policies now. So I take it that Retention polices are different than Managed Folder policies. So if I use a Retention Policy instead of a Managed Folder Policy for the Inbox, Sent Items and Deleted Items, then I can also turn on the Archive Feature for the same mailbox?

thanks,

Stephen

yes, that is correct.

S

slammers25

Mike, I've marked your response as the answer because it did work. Thanks!

A couple questions come to mind:

1. Is there a powershell command that help me see who has what Retention Policy applied to them?

2. Is there a powershell command that I can use to apply the policy on a per database level?

thanks,

Stephen

M

Mike Pfeiffer

1. Sure you could do something like this:
get-mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | ?{$_.RetentionPolicy} | select Name,RetentionPolicy
2. Retention polices are set per user, but you could do something like this:
get-mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited -Database "Database Name" | set-mailbox -RetentionPolicy "Policy Name"

Status
Not open for further replies.