Adding additional E2K7 server in to an Exchange 2010 Organization

S

Stratn

Just a quick question about co-exsistance with Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010. Is it possible to add additional Exchange 2007 server (what ever role) to an Exchange 2010 environment (coexsisting with Exchange 2007)?

Thanks for your time.

L

Laeeq Qazi

Hi,

No, its not possible.

You better install AD on a server and then install exchange server 2007 first, and then introduce an exchange 2010 server with exchange 2007.

Regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Team Lead(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com

C

Courtenay Snell

From my experiance this is correct, but I beleive you can also get away with simply extending the schema to Exchange 2007 level before you perform any Exchange 2010 setups.

If you extend the Schema to Exchange 2010 RTM level without first performing the Exchange 2007 Schema extension, you are prohibited from introducing Exchange 2007 retrospectivley.

S

Stratn

Thanks for the reply's

We are a child domain in a pure Exchange 2007 environment, where the parent domain (Same Exchange forest) is in a mixed Exchange 2003/2007 environment. By us extending the schema for Exchange 2010 this would prevent them from installing any addidtional E2K7 servers, from what you guys are telling me.

Thanks very much for your time.

C

Courtenay Snell

You should be fine then, the quirk exists when you go straight to Exchange 2010 - native mode. Without the Exchange 2007 Schema extensions being run first. But as your Parent domain has Exchange 2007 installed, and your child domain shares the same schema - you should be fine.

S

Stratn

So being in Exchange mixed mode will enable the parent forest to add additional E2K7 servers in the future? They are a little slow ....... and maybe some time before they jump on the Exchange 2010 bandwagon. My main concern was if we extended the Shcema that we would force them to spend money to upgrade their mail servers before they intended to.

A

AGSS

I have an AD forest and domain with Windows 2008 servers as Domain controllers and the domain and forest functional level are set to Windows 2008 level. I have exchange 2003 native domain. Once the schema has been modified and/or exchange 2010 is installed can you add a legacy Exchange 2003 or 2007 server into the exchange 2010 org.

Does Exchange 2010 mixed mode allow adding a legacy Exhange server into the Exhange 2010 org?

B

Brian Day MCITP [MVP]

From my experiance this is correct, but I beleive you can also get away with simply extending the schema to Exchange 2007 level before you perform any Exchange 2010 setups.

Official guidance from MS is that you *must* install the 2007 server roles first or it will not work. During server installation some other things like the forest/domain prep and other object configurations (journal rule container for example) have to happen or you'll be in an unsupported co-existence situation.Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server

B

Brian Desmond -MVP-

We are a child domain in a pure Exchange 2007 environment, where the parent domain (Same Exchange forest) is in a mixed Exchange 2003/2007 environment. By us extending the schema for Exchange 2010 this would prevent them from installing any addidtional E2K7 servers, from what you guys are telling me.
Not entirely accurate AFAIK. You can continue to add/remove Exchange 2007 servers so long as at least one Exchange 2007 server exists. Once you remove the last Exchange 2007 server (so you only have Exchange 2010 servers), you cannot go back and add an Exchange 2007 server.Active Directory, 4th Edition - www.briandesmond.com/ad4/