Meeting Room Approval before the email is sent out

• Thread starter easy1ndian
  • Start date Views 1,215
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

easy1ndian

I've not tested this on exchange 2010. In exchange 2007, when I send a meeting request and include room e-mail, the request is sent to other mailbox users even if the meeting room is not available.

In exchange 2010, is it possible for the server to check if the room is available before the request is sent to other reciepients?

Thank you

1ndian

M

Mark Arnold [MVP]

I think the point is that you schedule the meeting to suit everyone, including the room. You don't want a meeting just because a room is available; you want a meeting for business purposes. So, item (1) is to try and book a room that is available or alternatively put TBA as a location. Item (2) is that when updates are sent out, if people haven't accepted the meeting request yet they're only going to see one meeting request so users aren't swamped with updates. If you don't have a room guaranteed, don't invite one.

"easy1ndian" wrote in message news:1e5bb85a-6a2d-4fee-8490-fad263c96b52...

I've not tested this on exchange 2010. In exchange 2007, when I send a meeting request and include room e-mail, the request is sent to other mailbox users even if the meeting room is not available.

In exchange 2010, is it possible for the server to check if the room is available before the request is sent to other reciepients?

Thank you

1ndian
Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.

E

easy1ndian

Hi Mark,

I don't know if your answer was supposed to be funny or serious :) at least in my organization and few other organizations that I know of, people send meeting requests after checking with the secretary if the room is available at that time. If everyone needs pre-book the meeting room in this manner and then sent out meeting requests,why would Microsoft spend their resources in developing meeting room mailbox feature in exchange? It's only logical to think that meeting room booking should be centralized so that people know what time is available for them. Taking this into consideration, when i send a meeting request, exchange should first check and see if the room is booked during that time and cancel my meeting request to others while sending rejection to myself. what's the point in having a meeting room mailbox if I still have to call the secretrary and setup a register to track meeting room bookings? if exchange finds that the meeting room is not available, i have to send another request which is going to confuse the recipients.

Just my crazy thoughts, perhaps. what do you think?

Thanks

1ndian

M

Mark Arnold [MVP]

The answer was serious.

The idea is that meeting rooms are open and visible. You can see whether or not a room is free when you attempt to book the meeting. If you want a moderator (such as the secretary) then you simply invite yourself and the room. If the secretary accepts it you can submit an update message and invite the people you want to come. Alternatively if you know a meeting must take place at a set time you do the reverse; invite the people with a TBA and then invite a room when you get one.

Exchange DOES check if the room is free and tells you on the Scheduling view. There is no excuse in 2007/2010 for you to try and book a room that isn't free.

I think you've got a wider issue here. If your system isn't telling you that a room is busy (I.e. through free/busy) then you have a problem, rather than a procedural misunderstanding.

"easy1ndian" wrote in message news:2e05c942-b75f-4b7a-92b6-0b47fd98fc8d...

Hi Mark,

I don't know if your answer was supposed to be funny or serious :) at least in my organization and few other organizations that I know of, people send meeting requests after checking with the secretary if the room is available at that time. If everyone needs pre-book the meeting room in this manner and then sent out meeting requests,why would Microsoft spend their resources in developing meeting room mailbox feature in exchange? It's only logical to think that meeting room booking should be centralized so that people know what time is available for them. Taking this into consideration, when i send a meeting request, exchange should first check and see if the room is booked during that time and cancel my meeting request to others while sending rejection to myself. what's the point in having a meeting room mailbox if I still have to call the secretrary and setup a register to track meeting room bookings? if exchange finds that the meeting room is not available, i have to send another request which is going to confuse the recipients.

Just my crazy thoughts, perhaps. what do you think?

Thanks

1ndian
Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.

E

easy1ndian

Hi Mark,

Thank you for understanding. I too believe that there is some miscommunication happening here. my exchange works and sends me whether my meeting room request was approved or rejected. but my question still remains; why should i include meeting room mailbox if I already know the meeting room is free?

I searched around and found these links. I believe they are less confusing than my post :) It seems that exchange does have that feature where it can notify you if the room is available before sending out the request! May be I misread again :)

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2009/02/26/450776.aspx (comment by Matt)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradmin/thread/2fc784c8-d2ef-4438-96e1-08918f5c0e12/

Please let me know your views. by the way, my exchange is in a resource forest.

Thank you.

1ndian

A

Allen Song

Hi,

To include meeting room can help other users who booking the meeting request to know whether the meeting room is free. If you book the request which don't include the meeting room, the meeting room will not know certain time already has been booked. Then another organizer will also book the time that you booked. That will cause conflict.

Thanks

Allen

E

easy1ndian

My requirement is to cancel sending the requests to other receipients if the room is booked or if there is time conflict. this is only possible if exchange checks the room availability first, if approved, send to other recipients; otherwise, abort send and notify the sender. Is that possible?

thank you.

A

Allen Song

Hi,

That is impossible. As mark said, that is determined by the organizer when sending the meeting request. The relevant prompt information will be displayed on the top of meeting request when sending one meeting request. The Resource Mailbox doesn't have this feature to meet your target.

Thanks

Allen

U

umphid

Maybe I'm being naive, but wouldn't you just plan a meeting with all your attendees and your room (using the Scheduling Assistant). You can see the free/busy of the room to determine if it is booked or not. Find a time that is suitable to all. Then, you actually send out the email and the room automatically accepts (unless someone beat you to it between your planning and sending the request).

E

easy1ndian

Then, what's the point in having a meeting room mailbox if I need to check booking manually?

If that's impossible, how can I check the meeting room calendar to see what slots are available prior to sending a request?

Thank you.

1ndian

U

umphid

Then, what's the point in having a meeting room mailbox if I need to check booking manually?

If that's impossible, how can I check the meeting room calendar to see what slots are available prior to sending a request?

Thank you.

1ndian

How do you determine the best meeting time otherwise? It sounds like you are using a secretary to do what can be done automatically by Outlook. Maybe others are using it differently, but personally, here is what I do.

1) I plan the meeting using Scheduling Assistant and determine a block of time most suitable to all attendees including the room based on their free/busy. If the room is busy, there is no point choosing that block of time because the room will reject the meeting anyways. I even made a group of all my rooms so I can easily add them all during planning and see the free/busy of all at the same time and pick the best room and remove the rest.

2) I sent the invite to everyone at the same time and the room auto-accepts because I know it was free (unless someone beats me to it between my planning and hitting send - which is rare but can happen).

Note that if you need, you can still set it up so instead of auto-accepting the meeting, your secretary needs to approve the meeting on behalf of the room but even then, I don't see why you wouldn't take advantage of the room's free/busy to know if it's available.

Status
Not open for further replies.