Exchange restores of previous version after migration to 2010 / Keep server or specific tool ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brpo

Hi

As with each migration of exchange comes the problem of restoring the previous systems' from backup. Once your users will have been migrated to 2010, how to recover mails from 1 month, one year ago or more ?

The Official guidance for this is to keep one server with a previous version of exchange. However, I've seen that there are tools (the one i saw was from Ontrack) that allow the restore to a simple file server then mount and extract the data from there.

Are there people here using those tools and if so with which backup solutions ? (we use Netbackup 6.5). Is the backup process the same or are there caveats to the use of those tools ?

Thanks in advance

bruno

bruno

J

Jonas Haggren Evolver

I would use the builtin export-mailbox commandlet to keep an old copy, that is easy to restore..

For Exchange 2007, Requires a 32 bit Outlook 2007 installed on the computer

Get-Mailbox | Add-MailboxPermission -User 'CONTOSO\Domain Admins' -AccessRights 'FullAccess'
Get-Mailbox | ForEach-Object {export-mailbox $_.Alias -PSTFolderPath \\backupserver\Backup\Exchange_Mail_Backup -Confirm:$false}

For exchange 2010, Recuires a 64 bit outlook 2010 installed on the computer
#Adding Exchange Snap In to execute Exchange CmdLets in this script
Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010
get-mailbox | Export-Mailbox -PSTFolderPath D:\Exchange_Mail_Backup -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue

/jonas

Status
Not open for further replies.