Error moving remote mailbox to 2010

• Thread starter Peter Taps
  • Start date Views 695
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter Taps

Folks,
I am testing "New-MoveRequest" command to move an account from remote Exchange 2007 SP2 box into Exchange 2010 box.
Let's say the old domain name (Exchange 2007 SP2) is oldcompany.com and the new domain name (Exchange 2010) is newcompany.com. Both the domains are within the same physical network.
I created a mailbox called "test" under new and old domains. Individually, both the mailboxes are working fine (sending/receiving emails).
Now, following the Technet example for remote move, I tried the following commands from Exchange 2010 Management Shell.
> $cred = Get-Credentials old-company\Administrator
> New-MoveRequest -Identity test@newcompany.com -RemoteLegacy -TargetDatabase 'Mailbox Database 11223344' -RemoteGlobalCatalog 192.168.15.3 -RemoteCredential $cred -TargetDeliveryDomain mail.newcompany.com
However, when I execute this, the error I get is "You must use RemoteTargetDatabase parameter for remote push move requests."
I don't understand this. I am using the example exactly the way Technet documentation mentions http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876952.aspx. Moreover, from the documentation, RemoteTargetDatabase must be used when moving data from local server to remote server. My case is the other way.
Note that I am using 192.168.15.3 instead of mail.oldcompany.com because the DNS server of the new domain does not have any knowledge about oldcompany.com. However, I don't think this would be a problem.
I would appreciate it if someone can enlighten me on what is it that I am doing wrong.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Regards,
Peter

J

Johan Veldhuis [MVP]

Peter,

The problem is that you have both a mailbox in the source and target forest. When using the command it looks for several values on the AD object of the user to check if all settings needed are there. To test a migration like this you will need to migrate the user using ADMT to the new forest. After that use the script on this site: http://eightwone.wordpress.com/2010/02/04/cross-forest-mailbox-move/ to prepopulate the values of the user. After that you can use the command which you already tried.

Regards,

Johan

Exchange-blog: www.johanveldhuis.nl

D

David Bolton

These are the steps I use in our cross-forest domain migration. Make sure you have the prepare-moverequest.ps1 script installed (look for it microsoft's website).

1. Open Exchange Management Shell as administrator on the 2010 Exchange domain.

2. Change directory to where the Prepare-MoveRequest.ps1 file is located (C:\PrepareMoveRequest).

3. Set variables: $Remote = Get-Credential (enter OLDDOMAIN\Administrator), and $Local = Get-Credential (enter NEWDOMAIN\Administrator).

4. Enter (example) .\Prepare-MoveRequest.ps1 -Identity "CN=Test User, OU=Technology Services,DC=old,DC=domain,DC=com " -RemoteForestDomainController dc1.olddomain.com -RemoteForestCredential $Remote -LocalForestDomainController dc1.newdomain.com-LocalForestCredential $Local –TargetMailUserOU "OU=Migrated Users,DC=newdomain,DC=com" –UseLocalObject

5. Next, enter:

New-MoveRequest –Identity “CN=Test User,OU=Migrated Users,DC=newdomain,DC=com” –RemoteLegacy –TargetDatabase “EX1-MDB02” –RemoteGlobalCatalog dc1.oldomain.com -RemoteCredential $Remote –TargetDeliveryDomain “newdomain.com”

This works well very well for me so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.