Move Public Folder Replicas

• Thread starter Brent Allen
  • Start date Views 3,369
B

Brent Allen

I issued the command to move public folder replicas from my Exchange 2003 server to the new Exchange 2010 server on Weds of last week and as of today nothing has moved. The replication status just reads as " In Sync."

Anyone know how I can force this transfer to go through?

T

TWHarrington

what command did you run? Was it a move command or a command to add replicas for the 2010 server?

You can check the status of the replicas on the 2010 side by running: Get-PublicFolder –Recurse | fl Name, Replicas

B

Brent Allen

I did it on the Exchange 2003 box and used the " Move All Replicas" right click command.

T

TWHarrington

Is there anything in the event logs on the 2003 server or 2010 server? Can you view the public folder hierarchy on the 2010 server? Can you run the command above on the 2010 side? How big is your public folder store? Have users been migrated yet?

B

Brent Allen

Why I didn't check the event viewer is beyond me.

I have these events all through Event Viewer on the Exchange 2003 box:

" Event Type: Warning

Event Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store

Event Category: Transport Delivering

Event ID: 2091

Date: 7/6/2010

Time: 9:50:36 AM

User: N/A

Computer: PCDC1

Description:

A message deliver to public folder store " First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (PCDC1)" with message class REPORT.IPM.NOTE.NDR is being dropped.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp."

I do not believe I can view the Public Folder hierarchy on the 2010 server but I may not have looked in the right place. I just checked the area where my mailbox databases are located and in that area is " Public Folder Database." When it's selected their is nothing viewable below.

I attempted to run the command above but I think I am getting the name portion wrong. Should I be using the name of the Exchange 2003 Public Folders or 2010? Also, should I be putting the name in quotes or anything as their spaced out, " Public Folder Instance."

T

TWHarrington

First, log into the 2010 server, open EMC, navigate to Toolbox. Open the Public Folder Console. After it has connected, can you see the public folders listed (this is the hierarchy)? You should see all the public folders from the 2003 server regardless of replication. Verify this and then we will move to the next step.

Is email flowing correctly (both ways) between 2003 and 2010 environments?

B

Brent Allen

I do not see the public folders and email has not been flowing correctly. An account on Exchange 2003 cannot send to the Exchange 2010 mail server. However, vice-versa may work, have not tested it fully.

I see the problem here but am not sure how to go about finding the fix.

T

TWHarrington

Until email is flowing between the two environments, public folder replication will not work. Can you elaborate on your environment (how many exch 2003 servers, how many 2010 servers and what roles on each)? Can you run the Best Practice Analyzer from the 2010 server (in the Toolbox node)? Do you have mailbox databases and public folder database mounted on 2010? On the 2003 side, can you see two routing connectors created (one in 2010 routing group and one in 2003 routing group)?

Once email is flowing, you are going to want to add public folder replicas (not move them) during the coexistence period. Once all mailboxes have been moved, then you can remove the replicas from the 2003 server.

B

Brent Allen

Very simple environment. Single Exchange 2003 mail server and a new Exchange 2010 mail server and another CAS/HUB server.

On the Exchange 03 box I can see the new mail server as " Exchange Administrative Group (random code)." And I was able to move over several hundred mail boxes to the new Exchange 2010 mail server without problems. On the Exchange 2010 server I have created and mounted 3 mailbox DB's and each seems to be working fine. I also have Public Folder DB mounted.

As far as the connectors go, have a look:

I'll run through BPA now and respond back with results.

B

Brent Allen

Oh by the way. Maverick is EX2010 Mailserver, Goose is CAS/HUB

T

TWHarrington

So you have moved over several hundred mailboxes, and looks like you have moved your outbound SMTP connector as well. But, exch 2003 users cannot send emails to 2010 users?? Can 2003 users send email outbound? Definitely let me know the BPA results.

B

Brent Allen

I checked the queue on Ex2003 server and it has 6k messages stuck, many of which marked as carrying the replication data.

Any idea what would inhibit the xfer of messages between servers?

T

TWHarrington

This thread is just talking about the " unknown signature" issue in ExBPA. ExBPA runs just fine in 2010, just throws a bogus warning. I am a little worried that no servers can see each other. Are the firewalls turned on? Do you have file sharing enabled? Are the 2010 users working ok? All services up and running?

B

Brent Allen

These are the results BPA gives me:

Disabled firewall and same results. File share is enabled... Mail server works fine so far as I can tell. All necessary services on.

T

TWHarrington

So before we go and start recreating the routing group connector....has email flow ever worked between the two environments? If so, what has changed? From the exch 2003 server, can you telnet over port 25 to the 2010 server? Can you restart IIS on Exch 2003 and restart the Transport service on 2010? After all of that and it still doesn't work, then we will recreate the connectors.