not able to change password by EX2010 OWA for few user's

• Thread starter Anand Sunka
  • Start date Views 5,993
A

Anand Sunka

Hi All,

Facing some strange issues with password change in OWA for few user's. I can login into the OWA successfully but when I click on option link, it will throw me out of OWA.

Any help really appreciated

Regards
Anand S

M

MMHussain

Hello,

Have you checked the Internet Explorer Security Settings ?

Is there any error message you are getting ?

Thanks

Mhussain

Thanks Mhussain

T

Thiyagu14

Hi Anand,

Did you recreate the OWA & ECP directories?

What type of authentication is set on those virtual directories, ECP uses integrated & forms based?
. This posting is provided " AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

A

Anand Sunka

Hi Thanks 4r reply. Error message is " The password you entered doesn't meet the minimum security requirements."

I have 1 remote location they used to access thier mails by OA & POP, If any one wants to change their password how they change?

Regards
Anand S

A

Anand Sunka

Hi Thanks 4r reply.

Authentication is Forms-Based on OWA & for POP/IMAP4 is Plain text logon.

I have 1 remote location they used to access thier mails by OA & POP, If any one wants to change their password how they change?

Regards
Anand S

T

Thiyagu14

Hi Anand,

Error looks like the password did not a meet a the required complexity.

Please try a complex password like alphanumeric characters with both upper and lower cases and 10 or 12 characters length.

Give that a try?
. This posting is provided " AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

F

Frank.Wang

Hi Anand,

How about your question? Any updates?

Do you mean the user in the romote location cannot change password?

If their computers are logging on to domain, can they change windows password?

Frank Wang

J

JimRobinson

I am having the same issues with OWA 2010. Cannot change users passwords through OWA interface - error " password does not meet complexity requirements"

I have tried several dozen strong passwords through OWA and get error every time. Recently installed Ex2010 RU4 - no change.

If i use the same password through AD snap in - it works, but cannot set pass in OWA.

Our users do not have domain member machines, and access OWA from remote locations. It is not possible to have them ctr-alt-del to change passwords.

Please advise if there is a fix for this bug. This is a major issue for our users.

J

JimRobinson

My GPO settings for the domain are;

Account Policies/Password Policy
Policy Setting Enforce password history 24 passwords remembered Maximum password age 90 days Minimum password age 1 days Minimum password length 7 characters Password must meet complexity requirements Enabled Store passwords using reversible encryption Disabled

I believe this is supposed to work through OWA. Disabling password complexity is not an option either. Any idea how to fix this?

F

Frank.Wang

Hi Anand,

Any updates?

Jim,

Could you please check the Local Security Policy on which you installed Exchange 2010?

Frank Wang

J

JimRobinson

Frank,

It's a single Ex2010 box (mbx,cas,ht), in a 2008 domain. Local security settings on the Ex2010 box are (effective);

Policy Security Setting
Enforce password history 24 passwords remembered
Maximum password age 90 days
Minimum password age 1 days
Minimum password length 7 characters
Password must meet complexity requirements Enabled
Store passwords using reversible encryption Disabled

I have actually relaxed the default 2008 domain/server posture which sets 42 day expiration.

Jim

A

Anand Sunka

Hi Frank,

Sorry 4r delayed in reply due to some IT issues. I tried changing the password within the network, it works fine but when my remote location people tried to change the password through OWA it never works untill unless I change the option in account properties to " user must change the password in next logon"

Its a very strange issue I am facing whenever my remote location people wants to change the password then I need to set option in account properties to " user must change the password in next logon"

Regards
Anand S

J

JimRobinson

Frank,

I am not setting 'user must change password at next login' option. If i set 'user must change password at next login', the users cannot login to OWA at all.

Once the user is logged into OWA, if they try to change thir passwords, it is stil reporting 'does not meet complexity requirements'.

Jim

A

Anand Sunka

Hi Jim,

Even I also faced same issue, b4r u login into OWA just uncheck the option of 'user must change password at next login', then u can login into OWA. Once u login u check the option of 'user must change password at next login' for that user. U log off then u login into OWA & now u can change the pasword. In this period of time your microsoft outlook shud be closed, if u access ur emails by Outlook Anywhere.

By doing above steps my issue has been resolved for time being but this is not a proper way which i think.

Hello Frank I hope u got it my issue.

Regards
Anand S

P

Patrick Hoban

I'm seeing this behavior as well. The trick with logging in then logging out then checking the box then logging in does work. Seems like a bug though.

B

Brian Day MCITP

Even I also faced same issue, b4r u login into OWA just uncheck the option of 'user must change password at next login', then u can login into OWA. Once u login u check the option of 'user must change password at next login' for that user. U log off then u login into OWA & now u can change the pasword. In this period of time your microsoft outlook shud be closed, if u access ur emails by Outlook Anywhere.

In SP1 this should not be necessary if you enable the new PW feature (the same on Exchange 2007 SP3 has).

To enable the password reset feature;
1. Log on to the Exchange server(s) running the CAS role by using an account that has local administrator rights.
2. Start Registry Editor, and then locate the following registry subkey:

HLKM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchange OWA
3. Create the following DWORD value if it does not already exist:

Value name: ChangeExpiredPasswordEnabled

Value type: REG_DWORD

Value data: 1
4. Exit Registry Editor.
Here is the 2007 SP3 page, but the same intructions apply to 2010 SP1.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607232(EXCHG.80).aspx

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
My posts are provided "AS IS" with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.