OST to PST conversion

• Thread starter sam-mary
  • Start date Views 1,085
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sam-mary

In Office is there a way to convert an OST to a PST so that it can be used on another system and mounted as a personal file?

Thanks

Sam

L

Lasse Pettersson - [MVP]

You cannot convert a OST file to a PST directly, There is security in place that ties the Exchange mailbox,OST file and MAPI profile together. That means that you need the be loged in with the original MAPI profile in order to open the OST file, if you can do that you can simply export or copy all data to a PST file.

S

sam-mary

Lasse,

If I understand you correctly. I can take an OST file that I have created via Outlook and just copy it to a PST file that I can then mount on another system (different Exchange server) as a Personal Folder. Seems too simple a way to bypass the security.

L

Lasse Pettersson - [MVP]

you cant rename an ost file to pst and you cannot open the ost file with a different MAPI profile, it must be the same one that created the ost file.You cant change the mailbox either.

The only possible solution is if you can open the ost file with the origianal MAPI profile connected to Exchange or not, then export data to a post file.

Touse the original MAPI profile it must be available of course and you must also authenticate with an account that has permission to open it. (same account that has permission to open the mailbox on Exchange server)

N

Nick Bateman

You cannot convert a OST file to a PST directly, There is security in place that ties the Exchange mailbox,OST file and MAPI profile together. That means that you need the be loged in with the original MAPI profile in order to open the OST file, if you can do that you can simply export or copy all data to a PST file.

Sorry Lasse, but this is clearly not true as there are a multitude of utilities out there that do exactly this (at a cost): see http://www.stellarinfo.com/exchange-ost-recovery.htm and http://www.ost2pst.net/ to name just two.

I don't understand why Microsoft can't do this too and save everyone the trouble of having to buy 3rd party unverified software.

A

Avalonswan

I have a similar post that is newer and slightly different than the original titled.
Convert client Outlook 2007 .ost to Outlook 2007 .pst

Outlook 2007 throws a new wrinkle into the mix in that the underlying architecture has changed from ANSI to Unicode to my knowledge. This has hampered some of the current conversion tools that are out there when dealing with Outlook 2007.

But wait it! There"s more! For the amazing low price of just half your scalp hair, Outlook can use both formats at the same time. So if you"re in an office environment, what worked for the neighbor's computer in cube 2 may not work on the computer in cube 3! Have fun Kiddies!

Sarcasm implied there! My only solution (untested as of this writing) is Stellar Data Recovery as noted in Nicks post above.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

There really isn't much incentive for Microsoft to make and supply those tools (especially not for free). The percentage of users who will ever need an OST to PST converter is extremely small and there already are 3rd party solutions to that unusual problem.

Considering how much heat Microsoft gets whenever they introduce another product/add-in that puts a little ISV out of business and the programming resources required to create/support such a tool and the fact that it won't result in any additional sales for Microsoft...

Why?

I think Microsoft is content to let the ISV's take care of that small niche market.

That's my take on it anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.