Outlook search doesn't work anymore - only possible to do one search

• Thread starter James_Steven
  • Start date Views 682
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James_Steven

Here's a weird problem: When i start Outlook 2007 i can do a search and it works correctly. But if i try to search one more time, after i've been navigating in a mail/folder, it does not work anymore. No matter what i enter in the search field, it will just show "Searching..." in the main area, and there's absolutely no disk activity.

It works fine to search if I use the "Windows Search" application, by clicking the magnifying glass in the notification area. It's just in Outlook it gets stuck. If I restart Outlook, it will work again one single time before it gets stuck again.

Does anyone know what may be wrong? It just started happening a few days ago. I don't remember doing any software changes on my computer before this happened.

X

Xiu Zhang

Hi,

1.     First please try to empty Outlook Secure Temporary File folder

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\xxxxxxxx
Note In Windows Vista, the temporary file resides in the following location:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\xxxxxxxx

2.     Configure a new outlook profile in the Outlook Cached mode.

3.     Go to Control Panel - Indexing options - Advanced - Rebuild.

4.     Go to Control Panel - Index Options - add outlook, click on rebuild.

5.     Disable all the add-ins.

a.     Check all the add-ins from Tools -Trust Center-Add-ins  

b.    Then please select COM Add-ins and click go to open the com add-ins.

c.     Disable all the com add-in items.

d.    Please come back to the add-ins window and select exchange client extensions and click Go, disable all the items.

Btw, you can try to repair outlook from add/remove.

Regards,

Xiu

J

James_Steven

Thanks for your reply. I've tried to empty both internet temp files, and %temp%.
I've also disabled all add-ins. But still only the first search will work. I've also tried to rebuild the index.

If I create a new profile in outlook, doesn't that mean that many of my settings will be reset? And my mailbox needs to be re-downloaded?

X

Xiu Zhang

Hi,

Settings will not be generated from previous profile,but we can link mail from Account Settings ->Data files.

Regards,
Xiu

Status
Not open for further replies.