How can I turn off the Reading Pane in the default view for all folders?

• Thread starter Jason404
  • Start date Views 3,888
J

Jason404

How can I turn off the Reading Pane in the default view for all folders on new installations of Outlook 2010?

Also, when using the Reading Pane, how can I set the option to have it set at x seconds, to mark as read, turned on by default, at a setting of, say, 5 seconds?

Any solution that can achieve this is acceptable. Be it a registry edit, GPO, etc.

V

Vinay - G

The only way to disable Outlook's preview pane for all folders (regardless of account type, default views or folder settings) at start-up using a command line:

1. Open the folder that contains OUTLOOK.EXE in Windows Explorer.

a. A typical location for Outlook 2010 is " C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" .

2. Open the Start or Windows menu.

3. Click on All Programs with the right mouse button.

4. Select Explore from the menu that comes up.

5. Drag and drop OUTLOOK.EXE from its folder to thePrograms folder inside the start menu folder.

6. Double-click the Programs folder to which you have just dragged Outlook.

7. Click on OUTLOOK - Shortcut with the right mouse button.

8. Select Properties from the menu.

9. Go to the Shortcut tab.

10. Append " /nopreview" (not including the quotation marks) to what is in theTarget: field.

a. Note the white-space character.

b. If the Target: field contains" C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" , for example, make sure it reads '" C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" /nopreview' (not including the outer quotation marks) after editing.

11. Optionally, go to the General tab and change the shortcut's name from the defaultOUTLOOK - Shortcut.

12. Click OK.

To set time in reading pane follow the steps below:-

1. Open Outlook.

2. Click on file->options.

3. Click on mail.

4. Check the box " Mark items as read when…." and then place the amount of time of your choosing before a message is marked as read. Click OK when you are finished.

Brian Tillman

The only way to disable Outlook's preview pane for all folders (regardless of account type, default views or folder settings) at start-up using a command line:This is false. One can easily modity the default Messages view to select " Off" for the Reading Pane value. Then any folder using that view will have no Reading Pane.

----------------------------

L

Loriangy

Hello, Brian,

I am using Outlook 2003 with Windows 7.

I hate the reading pane.

It is always off when I'm in my Inbox folder, but comes on for every other folder.

I don't want it on for any folders.

How can I do that?

Thank you so much.

R

Roady [MVP]

Modify the default Messages view and turn off the Reading Pane there. For all folder that are still in the default Messages view, the Reading Pane will be turned off now.

To make sure that the Reading Pane will be turned off for all folders see;

Applying custom views to all folders at once

Robert Sparnaaij