stupid fecking iphone pop3 question - and yes I have already posted on the Apple forums

• Thread starter Brian_Jones
  • Start date Views 621
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian_Jones

Hi,

I previously had a Windows Mobile Device. It worked and was great.

Now I have an iphone, which I didn't really want but O2 left me with no real choice.

Exchange Activesync works great, in fact it was easier to setup than Windows Mobile (tut, tut)

Pop3 on the other hand is another matter. I am running Exchange 2007 on a Server 2008 box. I have changed no settings since running my Windows Mobile device with exactly the same pop3 settings that worked. I now get "server cannot be reached" or "username is not valid" or similar warnings when I try to connect via pop3 on the iphone. Posting on the apple forums has got me exactly no suggestions (god forbid there should be something wrong with their mail client) and so I am turning to you guys for informed suggestions. Any ideas?

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 4, MCITP x 2

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please listen to my radio show, by subscribing to the Trancendance Podcast

M

Mike Shen

Hi Brian,

If the Windows Mobile Device is able to access Exchange Server through POP3 account, I believe that the Exchange Server POP3 is configured correctly. The issue may relate to client.

Based on the current situation, I suggest you enable Protocol Logging for POP3 on Exchange Server to check whether you could find some clues.

How to Enable Protocol Logging for POP3 and IMAP4

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997690.aspx

In addition, I also suggest you check whether the Outlook/Outlook Express are able to connect to Exchange Server through POP3. If the Outlook/Outlook Express client does not have the issue, I still recommend to contact Iphone to check whether they can provide further assistance.

Mike Shen

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

B

Brian_Jones

Not had a chance to check it out yet. Hopefully I can try this evening.

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please listen to my radio show, by subscribing to the Trancendance Podcast

B

Brian_Jones

Hey Mike,

I set up using windows mail and got this error, so something must have changed:

Account: 'mail.mydomain.co.uk', Server: 'mail.mydomain.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Command is not valid in this state.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

B

Brian_Jones

OK, i cracked it. Well, sort of.

I still can't get pop3 without ssl to work. For some reason even on plain text it won't authenticate, but once i tried connecting through SSL pop3 it worked fine.

IMAP won't work at all, but as long as I can read and reply to this then i don't care.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.