Sharing and editing contact list in Exchange Server 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

enigma82

this is my first time dealing with exchange server so I know nothing about it. I had to call microsoft to get it setup initially and then again to get the calendar shared. now the customer wants his contact list shared. I have been trying to figure out how to share the contact list in exchange server 2007 for several weeks now. I need it to where comp1 and comp2 can use the same contact list. Comp1 needs to be able to add/edit/delete contact information and it show up on comp2 and vice versa. I have searched the internet and can't find anything out. thanks.

D

DeVa

You can share calendar/Contact information with other people by using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007/2003 in many ways. Simply, you can try using Outlook to do this. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA012302491033.aspx

If you look for alternate, you can choose either anyone:
1) If you don't have too many contacts to share, you can simply send vCard files.
2) You can use shared address books. For a shared address book that people can update without the intervention of an administrator, you can use the File | New | Folder command in Outlook to create a public folder to hold Contact items and grant permissions as needed. Users can add this folder to their Outlook Address Book by checking a box on the properties for the folder. Users who work out of the office will want to add it to their Favorites folder and set it for offline use.

3) If you'r programmer, you can use GetSharedDefaultFolderMethod in Outlook Object Model. This method is used in a delegation scenario, where one user has delegated access to another user for one or more of their default folders (for example, their shared Contacts folder). Try this code snippet:

Sub ResolveName() Dim myNamespace As Outlook.NameSpace Dim myRecipient As Outlook.Recipient Dim ContactFolder As Outlook.Folder Set myNamespace = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI") Set myRecipient = myNamespace.CreateRecipient("Dan Wilson") myRecipient.Resolve If myRecipient.Resolved Then Call ShowContact(myNamespace, myRecipient) End If End Sub Sub ShowContact(myNamespace, myRecipient) Dim ContactFolder As Outlook.Folder Set ContactFolder = _ myNamespace.GetSharedDefaultFolder _ (myRecipient, olFolderContact) ContactFolder.Display End Sub

Hope this helps.DeVa, M.S., {MSFT}

V

--Vinod--

Since you are new with exchange and if you are not comfortable running below script then you can achieve the same goal using below step.

What you need to do is delegate access to user who wants to view the contacts.

See below step by step article. Make sure you have only selected the Contacts and you can also grant editor rights to same

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6120092.html

Status
Not open for further replies.