Outlook 2007 unread public folder messages for a few users will not stay unread after logging out

• Thread starter WorkerBee09
  • Start date Views 726
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WorkerBee09

We have Exchange 2003 with the check mark on to "maintain per-user read and unread messages in the information for this folder"
and it works most of the time for all users on three continents.  We replicate to the other two sites as well.  On some occassions at the main office we have some users who exhibit that all messages in the public folder are all unread.  This happens sporadically and are not sure how to trouble shoot this from the client perspective.

We have Outlook 2007 sp2 installed on the workstations and I have turned on outlook logging to try and determine what might be the problem on the workstation and will wait for a time when I can review the log file for information that may point to a problem between the exchange server and the client.  However I wanted to ask where the client keeps the information of the unread messages. 

I keep thinking it may be a permission issue but have not found anything in the event log that points to a user not having write access to the user\application\microsoft\outlook folder.

Has anyone had this problem? or found an issue with the unread mail in public folders? 

Most of our business is conducted using these folders and the message count can easily get over 50k over a course of time. We do archive emails but this has not affected the other users ability to keep unread messages from disappearing from the desktop.  If it were a server issue all users would be eperiencing the same problem which is not the case.

V

--Vinod--

Do they use shortcut in outlook to access these Folders? or they access it directly?
What is the permission level set to users?

W

WorkerBee09

Sorry for the long silence,  I was out of town.  The users use either a favorite folder or straight to Public folders.  The permissions of the folder is such that they can make changes to all files and add posts to the folder as well. It is a customize setting which we setup so that the users cannot delete any files in the folder.

The wierd thing about this is that the users will sometimes lose their ability to retain their status of read messages and it happens sporadically.  We have checked the desktop, reinstalled OS and Office to see if it was a desktop issue with no luck.  Also checked the event logs for any discrepencies in the exchange server. with no luck. We do replicate that folder to other locations and am thinking it may be something with this but I have no proof and no way of troubleshooting the issue.  It just happens when either the weather changes, someone sneezes or a rainbow appears!  Very odd,

E

Eli Perpinyal

Hi,

Did you manage to find a solution to this problem?

I am having the exact same issue. Certain users public folders are all marked as unread randomly one day.

W

WorkerBee09

Nope,

I have tried alot of things but within the next month we will be defraging the public folder store and also the mailbox store. Hopefully this will fix any indexing issue we may have with the users. However we are using forms for the public folders and we are thinking it has something to do with the different types of views we have created based on the forms that are being used. the forms are connected to a SQL server to identify the email and catalog it for metadata values that will later be used for sharepoint. We are also moving ahead with our migration to Exchange 2010 so it has become a mute point and cannot provide the resources to fix this since we are moving away from public folders to sharepoint. This will bring about a new wave of issues that we need to deal with but I would rather deal with new technology than fix something that is too old and about to be decomissioned. If we do succeed and fix the issue with the defrag of the stores I will post a reply here after the event. Look for it in about three weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.