Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 - Exchange Environment - Outlook crashes on startup when there is a network connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darren.

A very bizarre one :-/

When I start Outlook 2007 (Ultimate) on my Windows 7 (Ulitmate) laptop, outlook crashes straight away.  If I pull the network cable or disconnect wireless connection then outlook will happily start.  I can then replace the network cable and outlook runs fine, until it is closed and opened where it crashes again.

This started happening on monday last week, its been fine for the past 2 months.  The very odd thing is that this is also happening on another guys laptop in my office - he is also running Windows 7 and Office 2K7.  Im on a Lenovo T61P and hes on a Lenovo W500 so they have different network adapters, both wired and wireless.

This also happens if I'm at home on my home network where Outlook cannot talk to the exchange server so I don't think its anything to do with an initial connection be made to the exchange server that is causing the crash.

Despite how much of a pain in the backside rebuilding is, I have rebuilt the laptop from scratch - fresh install of Windows 7 and Office 2K7.  And the problem persists.

This is what I'm seeing in the evenlog

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 12.0.6514.5000, time stamp: 0x4a89dc70 Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x00000000 Faulting process id: 0x1054 Faulting application start time: 0x01ca7bdfc3292b68 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE Faulting module path: unknown Report Id: 031ce728-e7d3-11de-a409-001c257c534f

Also this one:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 12.0.6514.5000, time stamp: 0x4a89dc70 Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdadb Exception code: 0xc0000374 Fault offset: 0x000c283b Faulting process id: 0x13d8 Faulting application start time: 0x01ca7b5795178a01 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll Report Id: d4f116e2-e74a-11de-a409-001c257c534f

Another:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 12.0.6514.5000, time stamp: 0x4a89dc70 Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdadb Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x00056176 Faulting process id: 0xcf4 Faulting application start time: 0x01ca7ab1fbd222b6 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll Report Id: 3a1e1322-e6a5-11de-b5ea-001c257c534f

Any ideas where to begin to fix this?  I have no idea where to start.  Please let me know if you need any more info.  I have no idea where to start with this!

D

Darren.

Just to add, if I open the mail control panel item, the initial window opens but as soon as I try to open Mail Accounts or Data Files, the "Windows Shell Common DLL" hangs.  I have moved the data files out the way to try and resolve this but without success.

R

RSView

Hi I have a number of machines all exibiting the same symptoms since mid last week, the only temporary solution I have found is to do a registry restore to a few weeks ago, the only things lissted as installed in the system restore are a few critical updates all originating from microsoft, this 'fix' lasts a few days then if you have to reboot the problem seems to come back.  If you do get outlook working it will continue to work even after hybernating or sleeping a laptop, once rebooted though Outlook is dead again.

D

Darren.

Hi RSView.

Thanks for adding to this issue.

We have another guy here in my office who has rebuild his laptop to Windows 7 and Office 2K7.  He is also having the same issue.

So thats several reports now - can anybody from MSFT comment please?  Time to do some research into what updates were pushed in the last week to 2 weeks.

Thanks, Darren

R

RSView

Yes I do have CA and more specificly Pest Patrol, I have found that the following does fix the issue and it seems to stay fixed

Remove the outlook.exe from the registry location:

HKLM/Software/ComputerAssociates/ITMRT/HHK.

This is needed so that Pest Patrol Real time does not inject itself into the Outlook process

It would seem that a CA signature update aupdated the Pest patrol engine around the 10 Dec.

M

mpereira4

Hi....

I too am having the same problems as the members on this thread, however our environment is somewhat different.

1. We're running Oracle on the back end for our email server, and connecting to it via Outlook 2K7 clients.

2. My machine is running Win 7 Pro as well as MS Office Pro with all updates to date, and it connects to the server via an Oracle Connector for Outlook app.

The connector app seems to work just fine....until the end of the Outlook launch.

1. I can see it connecting to our IMAP server

2. I can even d/l new msgs. into my Inbox

3. I can then see it connect to the SMTP server w/o any problems.

Afterwards, it then connects to our calendar server, and once Outlook displays how many msgs. it's about to sync up w/ my client, it then begins the sync process, and aborts after 15-20 msgs. have been synched...for no reason whatsoever. That's when I get the msg. that Outlook had a "problem" and had to terminate.

Here's my technical info (as you can see, regardless of server type (Exchange vs. Oracle), the same ntdll.dll file appears to be crashing:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 12.0.6514.5000, time stamp: 0x4a89dc70

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdadb

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x000c283b

Faulting process id: 0x3b4

Faulting application start time: 0x01ca9aff97d785d7

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: e05a9abc-06f2-11df-832b-0024e8d31953

I welcome any thoughts anyone might have as this problem has our IT Dept. stumped as well. They've suggested reinstalling MSOffice and the Oracle connector (which I've already done), but to no avail. I'm hoping Microsoft might release some sort of fix or update to this problem. Interestingly enough, other users on Win XP Pro SP3 (I'm the only one in my dept. on Win 7 Enterprise because it came w/ my new laptop) do not appear to be having this issue.

Thank you for any help anyone can provide....

Matt

01chevy@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.