Cannot add new appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Quirin

Hello,
I"ve the following problem on a single client (Windows 7, Outlook 2007) connecting to an Exchange 2007 server.
Whenever he"s out of office and connected to our exchange through Outlook Anywhere, he"s not able to add any new appointment.
He can edit, delete and move every entry in his calendar but he"s not able to add a new one.
This is the message Outlooks gives him:
'The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.'
However, he"s able to send mails and the edited calendar entries are updated correctly.
It"s hard for me to test this on another similar machine. However, on my notebook (Vista, Outlook 2007) everything is working fine.
First I thought that this is a simple Outlook problem and reinstalled/reconfigured Outlook many times.
Nothing worked.
Could there be a problem with Exchange, preventing him adding a new appointment?

E

Ed Crowley [MVP]

Please get him to record the exact steps that he's following and the responses to each.
--

Ed Crowley MVP
"There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

"Quirin" wrote in message news:3cf8c57e-0cf4-4b42-9b68-7f2c1c6d95d8...

Hello,

I've the following problem on a single client (Windows 7, Outlook 2007) connecting to an Exchange 2007 server.
Whenever he's out of office and connected to our exchange through Outlook Anywhere, he's not able to add any new appointment.
He can edit, delete and move every entry in his calendar but he's not able to add a new one.
This is the message Outlooks gives him:
'The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.'
However, he's able to send mails and the edited calendar entries are updated correctly.

It's hard for me to test this on another similar machine. However, on my notebook (Vista, Outlook 2007) everything is working fine.

First I thought that this is a simple Outlook problem and reinstalled/reconfigured Outlook many times.
Nothing worked.

Could there be a problem with Exchange, preventing him adding a new appointment? Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Q

Quirin

When he has an internet-connection he does these steps:
Open Outlook and login (he uses domain\user). Go to Calendar Right-click on an empty spot. Clicking on "New Appointment". Writing a subject. Clicking on "Save & Close"

I already tried it by myself but it doesn't work.

E

Ed Crowley [MVP]

And what is the problem?
--

Ed Crowley MVP

"Quirin" wrote in message news:292b6f59-c497-4c2e-aedd-90af1a80ea18...

When he has an internet-connection he does these steps:
Open Outlook and login (he uses domain\user). Go to Calendar Right-click on an empty spot. Clicking on "New Appointment". Writing a subject. Clicking on "Save & Close"

I already tried it by myself but it doesn't work.
Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Q

Quirin

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood you (English isn't my native language).

After doing the steps above, he receives this message:

The appointment windows will remain open and every time you click save & close, the message will appear.

E

Ed Crowley [MVP]

Perhaps he might be having trouble connecting to web services, i.e., free-busy. Have him look at his connection status. Hold the Ctrl key, click on the Outlook icon in the system tray, and the select Connection Status. He can also select Test e-mail Autoconfiguration and see what he gets when trying to connect via Autodiscover.
--

Ed Crowley MVP

"Quirin" wrote in message news:cf18dc99-6c91-4a40-b63e-ab0da4c872ab...

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood you (English isn't my native language).

The appointment windows will remain open and every time you click save & close, the message will appear. Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Q

Quirin

I was able to get a PC with Windows 7 and Outlook 2007 for testing.

The first thing I noticed is that autodiscover didn't add the Outlook Anywhere settings (in Vista this is working perfectly).

After manually adding these settings (they are 100% correct) I do have the same problem as the other users has.

This is what I get when using the autodiscover test (only checked "Use AutoDiscover") from inside the company network:

Attempting URL https://mail.domain.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml found through SCP

Autodiscover to https://mail.domain.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml starting

Autodiscover to https://mail.domain.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml FAILED (0x800710DD)

On my Vista machine, this is the point where I receive a succeeded message.

I can access https://mail.domain.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml through the browser, so this shouldn't be an issue, right?

D

DannyVer

Good Afternoon,

I've exactly the same problem you have over here in the Netherlands. It look likes something changed last weekend, because from last monday we have this issue. I'm using W7 ultimate, the other person uses W XP. We both uses Off 2007 i.c.w. Exchange 2007. We also can't add new contact persons in Outlook, you to?

About a year ago, we had the same problem. Microsoft released a hotfix to solve the issue then. (Hotfix 380310) This fix doesn't solve the same problem this time. I really hope Microsoft or anyone else have the solution for this problem.

Grt, Danny

Q

Quirin

For us, it didn't start suddenly like you described.

It all started with the change from Vista to Windows 7.

I never saw this problem on XP. However, we don't have a XP machine with Office 2007.

Like you, we also can't add new contacts.

Do you have the same issue with the autodiscover test?

Q

Quirin

Did you uncheck everything except "Use AutoDiscover"?

And what do you receive in the log tab?

Just for checking if we realy do have the same issue :)

D

DannyVer

Where do i have to uncheck everything except "Use AutoDiscover" exactly and watch the log file?

I'm almost sure we have the same issue going on ;-)

The appointment windows will remain open and every time you click save & close, the message will appear.

Q

Quirin

The checkboxes are in the "Test E-mail AutoConfiguration" windows (CRTL+right-click on the Outlook icon).

The log tab is located below the status-bar of this windows.

At least this is how it looks on Vista/Windows 7.

But it really looks like you're having the same problem as I do.

E

Ed Crowley [MVP]

Does the Windows 7 machine have the root certificate installed?
--

Ed Crowley MVP

"Quirin" wrote in message news:a13ac542-3bb9-46f6-bb1a-ee7d0c1ad9ce...

I was able to get a PC with Windows 7 and Outlook 2007 for testing.

The first thing I noticed is that autodiscover didn't add the Outlook Anywhere settings (in Vista this is working perfectly).

After manually adding these settings (they are 100% correct) I do have the same problem as the other users has.

This is what I get when using the autodiscover test (only checked "Use AutoDiscover") from inside the company network:

Attempting URL https://mail.domain.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml found through SCP

Autodiscover to https://mail.domain.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml starting

Autodiscover to https://mail.domain.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml FAILED (0x800710DD)

On my Vista machine, this is the point where I receive a succeeded message.

I can access https://mail.domain.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml through the browser, so this shouldn't be an issue, right?
Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

D

DannyVer

I disabled all the chechboxes except the "autodiscovery" and

watched the logfile. Every test it did failed with errorcode 0x80004005 and 0x8007251D

D

DannyVer

Hi,

I just rebooted the Exchange server and started the Exchange Smart Attendant service manually, and

it works again! i hope this will solve your problem to ;-)

Q

Quirin

Sadly, this didn't solve my problem.

Have you done some updates on the Exchange server?

And did you use XP or Windows 7 to verify this?

D

doubleu606

I just want to chime in and say I am having this same exact problem (when you create a new calendar appointment in outlook, press save and close, all outlook does is popup the notification balloon down in the tray with the phrase "the connection to microsoft exchange is unavailable. outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.")

This is a new, test installation of Exchange 2010 I'm using here FYI. I can add appointments all day long in OWA. In Outlook I can delete appointments that have been created with OWA, I just cannot create NEW appointments.

here is my outlook connection status:

Status
Not open for further replies.