some public folders not visible in owa (but are in outlook) when the default permissions are none

H

helsby



I have an Exchange 2003 sp2 server and some subfolders in the public folders (ie users\data\restrictedfolder) where default and anonymous is set to none, and a restrictedusers group set for reviewer access. When a user who is a member of restrictedusers uses outlook, they can see the restrictedfolder and access it with no problems. When they use owa the folder does not appear in the navigation pane (they can see users\data though). However if they go to https://mailserver.domain.com/public/users/data/restrictedfolder directly they can access it.

In a related/similar problem, users with owa accessing documents that are dragged to public folders get a "
the website declined to show this webpage" or get bprompted 3 times for access and then get access denied. However this works fine with outlook. However if a new post is created and the document added to the post, then they can access the post and the document with no problems.

Also in a related issue, when a url of mms:// is entered into a posting/email, when this is viewed through owa, the link has a blank target and the description contains the url - the source will look like

<a href="">mms://server.com/directory/file.mms</a>
but in outlook, the link will be correct. This problem exists with both public folders and in outlook (ie accessing an email)

The first problem is my biggest issue as I'm not sure what the work around is (apart from posting the full url to the restricted folders) , the second issue I can work around by ensuring posts are created.
 
H

helsby



Ok this is weird. Now that I've posted a question, the initial problem has resolved itself - I can now see the restricted folders. I'm wondering if the permissions being displayed were not the permissions in effect or something.....very strange. I did make changes to the permissions as I was testing it so I'm wondering if the change has forced a write back so the permissions displayed are consistent with the permissions in effect.
 
H

helsby



Thanks for the reply James. The url to the public folder can be accessed if you know the full url to the folder. Initially the folder was not appearing in the navigation tree but after I made changes to the permissions and changed them back it worked (although the user is saying they are not seeing it so I still need to double check this). I'll be checking in with the user today and I'll update later.

AS far the mms protocol is concerned, this is due to OWA scrubbing the protocols (as I suspected). By editing hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\msexchangeis\parametersSystem\internetContent\AdditionalSafeURLScheme and adding mms I was able to access this protocol. This is documented in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939999/ I did not need to apply the hotfix - just add this registry setting and it started working.
 
Top