Risks in uninstalling Exchange 2010?

• Thread starter blinkyjesus
  • Start date Views 633
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blinkyjesus

We installed an Exchange 2010 server (MB role only) in our native Exchange 2007 environment to kick the tires. We're done kicking now, but i'm concerned that uninstalling Exchange 2010 could be problematic. For instance, when i run the uninstall it says that there's still arbitration mailboxes that have to be removed or disabled first. I read up on arbitration mailboxes and it seems that deleting them can cause problems.

We're going to migrate to Exchange 2010 at some point, but will removing this existing installation cause problems with our current setup and/or our ability to start adding new Exchange 2010 servers down the road? If it's safe to remove it, are there any recommendations on what to do with the arbitration mailboxes?

Thanks in advance!

T

Triton.Deep

The Exchange 2010 Arbitration mailboxes are the repository for moderated messages and replies from moderators. For example, a distribution list requires moderator approval before someone is allowed to send to it, person A sends email to DL-B, DL-B is moderated so Person A's email is stashed in one of the Arbitration mailboxes until the moderator approves it. At that point his/her approval is put into the arbitration mailbox and Person A's email is allowed to proceed to send to DL-B.

Sounds like you are not using that or doing that, or anything with moderated transport. It's safe to remove them:

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -Database "Mailbox Database 29837493" | Remove-Mailbox -Arbitration -RemoveLastArbitrationMailboxAllowed

The schema changes aren't going to go away, but you can uninstall Exchange 2010 assuming you havn't moved anything over to it.

J.

B

blinkyjesus

Ok, so reinstalling later on will recreate the arbitration mailboxes, yes?

T

Triton.Deep

I'm not 100% for sure though I'm pretty sure. However; even if they don't get automatically recreated, just run setup /prepareAD again and they will be.

J.

Jason
If it was helpful, vote for it. If it answered your question, mark it as answered. Small thing to do for free help from a strong community :)

Status
Not open for further replies.