Outlook 2007- Help Editing Meeting Makers - All Day Event option not available

J

jasnn

Using Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 (64bit), I sometimes need to edit meeting makers that are accepted, but not created by me. One reason is that when someone creates an all day event meeting maker, in another timezone, like PST, it will show up in my EST timezone calendar, as a meeting starting on 3:00am the day of, extending to 3:00am the next day, instead of an all day meeting. (Turning on the timezone option doesn't change this).

With Outlook 2003, it was as easy as opening the meeting maker, and ticking the all day event box and then saving it. However, Outlook 2007 while letting me edit the time, won't allow me to tick the all day event box on meeting makers not created by me. It's simply grayed out. How can I edit the all day option on meeting makers accepted, but not created, by me, without going through the hassle of simply creating a new appointment and deleting the original?

Thanks,

Jason

J

jasnn

I'm not sure I understand what the difference is between appointment and meeting invitation, but I would assume these are meeting invitations. Also I can update both the start and end times to anything. I just can't tick the all day event box, as it's grayed out.

This should be fairly simple to reproduce. Anyone using Outlook 2007 can do so by editing a meeting maker that someone has sent them, and see if it's possible to change the meeting from a time range, to an all day event. As I stated, I could do this by simply editing the meeting maker in Outlook 2003. However I cannot do it using Outlook 2007.

Thanks..

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Do the appointments have an accept button? If so, they are meetings. Best practice is to not change the start and end time of meetings. I don't know why the behavior changed between versions (possibly because all day = show time as free) but if you need all day events, you need to change the time to 12a.

J

jasnn

Simply changing the time from 12a of day 1 to 12a of day 2, for an all day meeting on day 1, doesn't work. As I explained in my original post, when someone in the PST timezone sends me an all day event meeting maker, once accepted it appears in my calendar as an event scheduled at 3:00am, (PST 12:00am), of day 1, to 3:00am, (PST 12:00am) of day 2, and NOT as an all day event. It will straddle two days in my calendar, and it isn't acceptable behavior. If I try to change the time from 12a of day 1, to 12a of day 2, the calendar still displays the meeting as scheduled from 3:00am of day 1, to 3:00am of day 2.

So in order for my calendar to be corrected, I need to be able to fully edit the time, most importantly including forcing an all day event notation, when Outlook doesn't maintain it correctly across time zones. This is certainly an Outlook problem, and I'm trying to work around it's deficiencies by manually editing the time. As I mentioned you could do this directly in Outlook 2003, and by trial and error, I've actually found an acceptable solution for Outlook 2007. For anyone else experiencing this problem you can get around the issue by performing the following steps;

1) Select week view for the meeting. You should see your mistimed meeting stretching over 2 or more days on the " all day event" section of the calendar, that is the slot above the 12am time slot. Select the meeting and drag it to any day/time slot and let it go. You will be greeted with the following message;

" You are changing details for a meeting on your calendar and you are not the meeting organizer. If the organizer sends a meeting update, your changes will be lost. Do you want to continue?"

If you are ok with that, then select yes, and you will have succeeded in editing the time for the meeting in your calendar. Now if you want it edit the meeting to be an all day event you simply need to;

2) Drag it to the appropriate all day event slot, (the bar above the 12am time slot), and let it go. You will again get the previous message and if you select yes, the event time details will again be edited, and you will have succeeded in changing the event into an all day event in your calendar.

Finally, you should open the meeting maker and edit it appropriately for the correct calendar days, reminders, the " Shown As" category, (busy, out of office, etc.), etc.

Good Luck..

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Simply changing the time from 12a of day 1 to 12a of day 2, for an all day meeting on day 1, doesn't work. As I explained in my original post, when someone in the PST timezone sends me an all day event meeting maker, once accepted it appears in my calendar as an event scheduled at 3:00am, (PST 12:00am), of day 1, to 3:00am, (PST 12:00am) of day 2, and NOT as an all day event.

Generally speaking, when someone in another timezone schedules a meeting, its being held at the time they set, so outlook adjusts it for your time zone. If the meeting starts at midnight PT, its 3 AM ET. If you attend at midnight your time, you'll be 3 hours early.

It sounds like the person sending the meeting should forward an all day event (appointment) instead of a meeting request.