Need to recover lost outlook email files after manufacturers 'system recovery'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I had to perform a manufacturer's system recovery on my old Philips Freeline desktop, (not out of choice, when uninstalling the now discontinued Windows OneCare, it crashed my computer) but opted for the non destructive option where it promised to save 'my old disk structure' including all files and folders.

(I'm running XP Media centre version 2005)

After this had completed i had to reinstall Outlook (2003), and then followed the instructions for locating the hidden .pst files, importing them etc. 8000 emails later, i've found that it has all my incoming emails, but only my sent items from June 2009 backwards, i.e. non of my last 12 months of sent emails. Why would it choose this random selection?!

I'm pulling my hair out as these are the most important emails that i need, if anyone could shed light on where they might be (if still in existence) i'd be very grateful!

I've run searches for all .pst files but no luck...i have to confess i've not backed-up for a while, so that's my own fault..

Thanks

Jo

catherized

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
Re: Need to recover lost outlook email files after manufacturers 'system recov

If you open the pst file in Outlook instead of importing, do you see the missing email? Use File, Open, Outlook Data file.

What type of email account do you have? IMAP, POP etc.

I just tried what you suggested, and it opens up the same files as i have imported, i.e. pre july 2009??!

I did do a search of the whole 'my old disk structure' file for .pst files, and it has recovered 6004 of them, ranging from 6mb to 3gb, but the 1+gb files still only contain pre July 2009 sent emails.

(I think the only reason i have the recieved emails since that date is that they are still on my POP3 server, so Outlook has retrieved them.)

A lot of them are entitled 'Part##110 of Outlook.pst' numbered from 1 - 187, but in huge duplication.

Would you know how i could easily check all of these as they are not visible when searched for via 'Open outlook data file' as you just showed me...?!

thanks

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

It almost sounds like those are archives. Do you have current calendar and contacts?

It sounds like the parts need put back together -do you know what software was used for the backup?

also, is the date on all of the duplicated parts the same?

Unfortunately i don't use my calandar or contacts much so can't check that. I used to use Windows OneCare, but hadn't done a recent backup with it as they were discontinuing it, hence the start of all my problems!

I was hoping that the 'non destructive system restore' would honours it's promise to keep all files and folders!
The dates are varied, the large 3gb one that has restored the majority of my emails is dated exactly a year ago today (odd coincidence), apart from that the most recent is 15/3 2010...

tonyross

Re: Need to recover lost outlook email files

Hi,

I had to perform a manufacturer's system recovery on my old Philips Freeline desktop, (not out of choice, when uninstalling the now discontinued Windows OneCare, it crashed my computer) but opted for the non destructive option where it promised to save 'my old disk structure' including all files and folders.

(I'm running XP Media centre version 2005)

After this had completed i had to reinstall Outlook (2003), and then followed the instructions for locating the hidden .pst files, importing them etc. 8000 emails later, i've found that it has all my incoming emails, but only my sent items from June 2009 backwards, i.e. non of my last 12 months of sent emails. Why would it choose this random selection?!

I'm pulling my hair out as these are the most important emails that i need, if anyone could shed light on where they might be (if still in existence) i'd be very grateful!

I've run searches for all .pst files but no luck...i have to confess i've not backed-up for a while, so that's my own fault..

Thanks

Jo

You said that you don’t have a recent backup and this may result in losing some of your important emails which were received or sent recently. Then try to use backward compatibility software and try to recover outlook 2000 pst file then install the latest version of outlook and try using it. This software may promise you to keep all the emails intact. In the recent outlook versions, size of pst does not bother you but in earlier versions it is one of the major causes for email loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.