Importing e-mail folders from at&t yahoo mail into Outlook 07

• Thread starter pauln49
  • Start date Views 1,951
P

pauln49

Hi,

I have used yahoo/at&t for some time as my defailt e-mail. I have several " file folders" I have created to save e-mails from various companies, etc. Now, I have installed Outlook 07 and my new e-mails are there, etc, but it is not importing or showing those other file folders. How can I get those into Outlook as well?

M

Milly Staples - MVP Outlook

Consult the AT&T web mail to see if you can export your mail and folders to a format that Outlook can import.

ALWAYS post your Outlook version!

" pauln49" wrote in message news:2ddf4d1c-298b-4f71-ad15-a2326775b53a@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi,

I have used yahoo/at&t for some time as my defailt e-mail. I have several " file folders" I have created to save e-mails from various companies, etc. Now, I have installed Outlook 07 and my new e-mails are there, etc, but it is not importing or showing those other file folders. How can I get those into Outlook as well?

AT&T/Yahoo supports only POP access and POP mail has no notion of folders. If you want to transfer your mail from the Yahoo folders to Outlook, it's a tedious (although straight-forward) process. First, in Outlook, create a folder called, say, " Temp Inbox" . Move (not copy) the contents of your Inbox to that folder. Now, log into your AT&T/Yahoo account with a web browser and do something similar there.

Next, copy the contents of one of your other server-side folders to the server's Inbox. Back in Outlook, perform a send/receive. This should cause Outlook to download the messages you just copied to the server's Inbox. Once they're in Outlook, create a folder in Outlook with a name that matches the name of the folder they were in on the server. Move the contents of the Outlook Inbox to that folder. Delete the contents of the server-side Inbox. Now you have copied one of the non-Inbox folders on the server to Outlook.

Perform this same action with all of the other non-Inbox folders. When you're all finished, you can move the contents of the temporary folder you created back to Inbox and the server's folder structure and contents and Outlook's should match. From that point on, you can keep the two in sync by always filing the incoming messages into matching folders both in Outlook and on the server. More work, true, but that's the only way it's possible using POP.

You can also use export/import as Milly suggests, but I don't recall Yahoo allowing mail export. It may, but I just don't remember. I'll have to check when I get home.

----------------------------