if scanpst.exe doesn't fix it?

• Thread starter DebMrazek
  • Start date Views 1,821
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DebMrazek

I have a damaged .pst flie that scanpst.exe can't fix. Now what?

G

GordonBP

Doesn't fix what?

Restore from your last good backup? You do TAKE backups?

If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

D

DebMrazek

IT controls my backups and it will be several days before they can process my request

G

GordonBP

IT controls my backups and it will be several days before they can process my request

So IT make backups of your LOCAL machine? That's very very unusual. How do they do that?If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

D

DebMrazek

the file is on a file server managed by IT, not on my LOCAL machine.....

D

DebMrazek

thanks, will try some of these ides I experimented with Stellar Phoenix but didn't want to shell out the money if I could find a cheaper solution

G

GordonBP

the file is on a file server managed by IT, not on my LOCAL machine.....

And that is one of the fastest routes to a corrupted pst file.

Are you using Exchange Server and is this pst file just for saving messages locally?

If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

D

DebMrazek

what do you mean 'and that is one of the fastest routes to a corrupt file'?

Yes, we have an exchange server for our email and yes, this pst is for saving messages locally because IT enforces a small 'on server' limit and I have limited harddisk size.

G

GordonBP

what do you mean 'and that is one of the fastest routes to a corrupt file'?

Yes, we have an exchange server for our email and yes, this pst is for saving messages locally because IT enforces a small 'on server' limit and I have limited harddisk size.

Accessing a pst file across a network is NOT supported by Microsoft because Outlook requires constant read/write access to it and any tiny drop in the Network WILL (sooner or later) result in a corrupted pst file. Seehere for the MS KB article

The recommended way of doing this is to create a pst file on your LOCAL machine, move items to it, and then copy it at the end of each day to the server for backup purposes. (After you have closed Outlook)

D

DebMrazek

good to know for the future but how do I recover the corrupt file?

G

GordonBP

good to know for the future but how do I recover the corrupt file?

Either run scanpst (which you said didn't work - try running it several times....) or from a backup. If your IT can't restore ONE file from their backup on the same day it's requested then I would question the competence of the IT dept - they are there to provide a service to the organisation - not the other way round.If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.