Exchange 2010 ECP Reports - search for emails from external recepient get 'Object Reference not set to an instance of an object' error

• Thread starter ktolik_iname.com
  • Start date Views 837
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

ktolik_iname.com

I'm trying to run a report search from /ecp portal for some emails coming from outside of our organization to internal recepient. When I try to run Search, I get popup "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object" . So, for example we have emails coming from one of our payroll services and it would have email address of noreply@domain.com, and it would be coming to one of our Exchange recepients. When I search for email transfers within organization, it works fine, and I can see all emails. Reason I'm doing the search is because we had the email blocked a couple of time by HUB server anti-spam filter (Content Filter i beleive), and we want to see if there were any other ones that we missed. We already added the domain to safe senders with "Set-SenderIDConfig -BypassedSenderDomains domain.com", and also by entering their SMTP servers to "IP Allow List".

Weird thing is, I can search for most other external email addresses with the Reporting, and it works (for example my own gmail account to my internal Exchange account) - it would show all emails, and I don't get this "Object Reference... " error. Only those emails that were stopped by spam filter seem to be affected (we have currently two email addresses that were blocked by smap filter, and were added to safe sender domain etc. - these are the only two I'm getting this error with).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

K

ktolik_iname.com

So, I did some more testing... and the culprit seems to be spam-filter labeling emails as spam. I tried to search for some other email addresses, which emails were labeled spam (and forwarded to our Quarantine mailbox), and I get this "Object Reference..." error on all of them. So, is this a bug? As I mentioned, we found a couple of emails that were blocked by mistake (spam filter was too cautious I guess), and now we can't search for those emails - we get the above error.

This is very serious issue for us, since now we can't find out if there were other emails from those two senders that were blocked before.

K

ktolik_iname.com

I'm still having this issue. Any ideas? Anyone?

Errors on Exchange CAS server when I try to do the search as follows:

EventID 4999:

Watson report about to be sent for process id: 5112, with parameters: E12IIS, c-RTL-AMD64, 14.00.0701.000, ECP, M.E.InfoWorker.Common, M.E.I.C.M.SearchMessageTrackingReportImpl.GetAllLogs, System.NullReferenceException, 539e, 14.00.0702.000.

ErrorReportingEnabled: False

and right after this one:

(PID 5112, Thread 16) Task Search-MessageTrackingReport throwing unhandled exception when processing record of index 0. Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Microsoft.Exchange.InfoWorker.Common.MessageTracking.SearchMessageTrackingReportImpl.GetAllLogs(LogSearchCursor cursor, ServerInfo serverInfo, BitArray columnsToGet)

at Microsoft.Exchange.InfoWorker.Common.MessageTracking.SearchMessageTrackingReportImpl.RpcTrackSMTPReceiveMessagesForSiteServer(ServerInfo serverInfo, HashSet`1 serverNamesTable, List`1& resultList)

at Microsoft.Exchange.InfoWorker.Common.MessageTracking.SearchMessageTrackingReportImpl.RpcTrackSMTPReceiveMessagesWithinSite(List`1& resultList)

at Microsoft.Exchange.InfoWorker.Common.MessageTracking.SearchMessageTrackingReportImpl.FindMessageBackwards(SearchScope scope, TrackingAuthority recipientAuthority, Boolean usingServerHint, List`1& results)

at Microsoft.Exchange.InfoWorker.Common.MessageTracking.SearchMessageTrackingReportImpl.FindMessage()

at Microsoft.Exchange.InfoWorker.Common.MessageTracking.SearchMessageTrackingReportImpl.Execute()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Tracking.SearchMessageTrackingReport.InternalProcessRecord()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.Task.ProcessRecord()

B

Brian Desmond -MVP-

I'd give PSS a call and have them look in to this. There's not a whole lot that can be done for this sort of thing in a forum like this.Active Directory, 4th Edition - www.briandesmond.com/ad4/

Status
Not open for further replies.