Unable to export contacts to PST in Outlook 2007 with Win 7 Ultimate (64 bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AJK83NV

When exporting Contacts to a PST file I get the error message "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook".

I followed the directions in a similar post that suggested to use MS Fix It to unload Office 2007 and then reinstall a clean copy. It also suggested trying to load the Importers & Exporters for Outlook which I tried to do also, but I'm not sure that they loaded properly. When I went back into the install disk to see if the Importers & Exporters installed properly, the option to install Importers & Exporters is not highlighted as if it has already been loaded onto my computer.

Karl Timmermans

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3

#1 - At point <exactly> in the export process do you get the error message?

#2 - Re: import/export option being highlighted. Not a question of anything being highlighted but the status being one of 4 (Run From My Computer, Run All from my Computer, Installed on first use, Not available) - click on the applicable down arrow key to see the 4 options each of which have their own graphic. From your description, the import/export filters are installed).

#3 - Most likely cause of problem is a problematic PST file (or more specifically, one or more items are corrupt in the folder that you are trying to export). First thing to do is run ScanPST to eliminate any potential problems and try the export again. If there is still a problem after running ScanPST, you can create a new PST file and manually "copy" the folder you are trying to export to the new PST file to see if that solves the issue.

For point of interest and as an aside, it is quite possible to have corrupt items exist in an Outlook InfoStore (PST or Exch) and work without ever encountering a problem if the specific items are never accessed directly. Corrupt items also do not "automatically" mean that Outlook was the cause of the corruption (a faulty "sync" could easily do this which Outlook has nothing to do with).

"

A

AJK83NV

Thanks for the prompt reply.

#1 -- The error message appears after I hit the "Finish" button.

#2 -- The 4 options you've described do exist when I go to load the software, does that mean they have already been loaded on my system?

#3 -- I haven't been able to successfully create the PST file yet, so am I able to run the ScanPST.exe without having a PST to fix?

As a matter of background ... in Outlook 2003 I always created two PST files and included the date in the filename for identification purposes. The first PST is for contacts that are stored on my cell phone and the other is for contacts that don't go on my cell. I am currently able to export files to a CSV file which I can then import in my Gmail account to subsequently sync with my Android phone. The problem is that I'd like to filter out the contacts that I don't want on my cell phone prior to creating the CSV file, because you aren't able to filter out contacts when creating a CSV file (which I'm sure you're well aware). My workaround is to create a PST with the non-cell contacts, delete them from my contacts, create the CSV file, and then load the non-cell contacts back into Outlook via the PST file. This process worked fine with Outlook 2003, but I haven't been able to create a PST file with my newly loaded 2007 version. Probably more than you needed to know, but the background might be helpful.

Karl Timmermans

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3

Re: Options

Each of the 4 options is represented by an icon - the last 2 are very obvious so that would indicate that you have the filters installed

Re: Running ScanPST

The error, if one exists, is on the PST file that you are exporting from, assuming of course that your source folder is PST based and not Exch based. If it's Exch based, you'll need to make a date with your Exch admin, otherwise, run ScanPST on the source PST file

Not entirely surprising that you could export contacts to CSV but encounter an issue when exporting a folder to a PST file. Involves 2 different methods of data movement. Exporting CSV involves taking specific pieces of info from a specific contact item whereas the other is copying the contact item in its entirety.

Re: Background

Going to leave the syncing options to someone else to answer - not my area of expertise but seems this may be a viable solution for you: http://www.companionlink.com/android (going to assume that specific contacts can't be selected for a sync within a folder so seems like having 2 contact folders - one for contacts to sync and one for all others with each added to your Outlook address book, would solve your problem. Just a random thought, have no doubt that others familiar with the Droid/Outlook combination have better suggestions). Regardless, this portion of the discussion is outside the scope of the topic being asked about.

"

Status
Not open for further replies.