Outlook 2010 Exchange Issue when Launching the App

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

parkernathan

I recently installed Outlook 2010 and I previously had the beta installed. This issue also occurred in the beta, but I didn't work to resolve it since I thought it was only a beta glitch, but now I see it is more serious.

When I launch Outlook 2010, I get the following error message:

The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.

I then click OK. It then asks for my Exchange Server info. I enter it and clickOK. I then get this error message:

Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file at C:\Users\Nate\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Private Folders.ost is not an Outlook data file (.sot).

I'm running Outlook 2010 64 Bit Edition under Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit Edition. My Exchange Server is running Exchange 2003 (I work for WeatherBug).

I have another machine that's also running Outlook 2010 (same config, also was previously on beta) with the same issue. At one time, the second machine read this error message:

Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened.

I've been discussing this issue on the Microsoft Outlook Facebook page, and they told me to first try these steps:

Try resetting your Navigation Pane (This is for Windows 7): Start-> type; outlook.exe /resetnavpane

I tried it on both machines, and still got the same error messages.

Microsoft Outlook on Facebook then suggested I tried the instructions at this link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-HA010354964.aspx?queryid=71a6e2b84ae441f49079255d9c10abd6&respos=0&av=ZOL140

I did on both machines. This is the error message that resulted:

The Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool does not recognize the file C:\Users\Nate\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Private Folders.ost. No information can be recovered.

They then suggested I post my question here, which I am now doing.

If someone could help me resolve this issue, I'd be much appreciated, as I would like to get back into Microsoft Outlook and begin using it.

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

P

parkernathan

How do I make a new profile? I'm unable to get into Outlook at all, so is this something I could do outside of Outlook?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

Yes, it can be done outside of outlook. Go to Control panel, search for Mail and create the profile from there.

See How to create a new profile for a tutorial.

P

parkernathan

That did the trick! Works great now! Thanks for your help! WOW! Outlook 2010 looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.