Prevent Cross-Forest New-MoveRequest from deleting the source mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sham Chauthani

Is there a way to prevent the New-MoveRequest cmdlet from deleting the source mailbox once it has completed copying the data to the target? I would like to preserve my source mailboxes as I move them to the target.

Thanks in advance.

S

Shafaquat Ali

Hi,

The move request will configure the user in the source forest as mail enabled user and will not delete it, you will have to delete the mailbox manually

I hope this will help you.

Regards.

Shafquat Ali.

M.C.I.T.P Exchange 2007/2010, M.C.I.T.P Windows Server 2008, M.C.T.S OCS Server 2007 R2, URL: http://blog.WhatDoUC.net Phone: +923008210320

S

Sham Chauthani

That is certainly good info Shafquat, however is there a way for me to put the mailbox back in a state that the source user can connect to the mailbox if needed? Is it as simple as setting the homeMDB (and other exchange) properties on the source AD account to connect to the orphaned mailbox?

S

Shafaquat Ali

Hi,

Yes it is but I will suggest you that make PST and save it for further things.

Regards.

Shafaquat Ali.

M.C.I.T.P Exchange 2007/2010, M.C.I.T.P Windows Server 2008, M.C.T.S OCS Server 2007 R2, URL: http://blog.WhatDoUC.net Phone: +923008210320

S

Sham Chauthani

We just did a test and it looks like the source mailbox is gone from the source exchange server. (our source is Exchange 2003 server). Any thoughts on what we could be doing wrong?

J

James-Luo

“In the Contoso forest, MRS converts the mail-enabled user tony@fourthcoffee.com to the mailbox tony@contoso.com. In the Fourth Coffee forest, MRSProxy converts the mailbox tony@fourthcoffee.com to the mail-enabled user tony@contoso.com”

----------Refer to <Understanding Move Requests>

Shafquat, the behavior has changed to what looks like in Sham"s environment. Source mailbox will be purged after the move completes, and the recipient type will be changed to MailUser

If you want to roll back the mailbox, please see the article below:

Move Mailboxes from Exchange 2010 Servers to Exchange 2003 Servers

James Luo

S

Shafaquat Ali

Hi Mr. James Juo.

Thanks for your input and knowledge for me .

Regards.

Shafaquat Ali.

S

Sham Chauthani

thanks James for the confirmation. However is there any option to leave the source mailbox intact in a cross forest move? it seems that the 2007 MoveMailbox leaves the source mailbox intact in case of a cross forest move.

Thanks

J

James-Luo

Per my knowledge, it can't be saved in the original source for nowJames Luo

W

WiRall

thanks James for the confirmation. However is there any option to leave the source mailbox intact in a cross forest move? it seems that the 2007 MoveMailbox leaves the source mailbox intact in case of a cross forest move.

Thanks
In SP1, if the mailbox is moved between two Exchange 2010 SP1 machines (intra-forest or cross-forest), the source mailbox will be " soft-deleted" . The reason that the mailbox isn't left behind after cross-forest moves is because you can lose mail for a short period of time in the case that the source mailbox is not deleted. If you wish to perform a backup, PSTs are your best bet. Why is it that you want to keep the mailbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.