Exchange 2003 -> Exchange 2010 Public Folder issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leif Hurst

I am having a very similar problem to a lot of theads that have been already posted on this board and several others. This has been going on days now.

My issue... I'm migrating an old Windows 2003 AD and 2003 Exchange server to a Windows 2008 AD and 2010 Exchange server. I am keeping both environments up for coexistance until I feel confident that we can decommission the 2003 server.

The organization relies heavily upon public folders for a third party shared contact book as well as several department shared tasks list (some with 1000's of items). I have migrated AD over successfully, installed Exchange 2010, setup, and migrated a few mailboxes already (admin, testing accounts, etc). Everything seems to be working great. I'm now trying to move public folders over via replica and am not getting a hierarchy or data to come over. I've tried the pfmigrate script (see below), the public folder tool in exchange 2010, and the powershell script. All fail to materialize anything for me and my exchange 2010 public folders are blank.

PFMIGRATE.wsf Error

I have read and tried the steps at this thread with no such luck.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/57545860-b0a3-4a92-8fd6-d4189b0df445

When I run the pfmigrate.wsf script as outlined here I get "Failed to connect with the WMI server 'mail2.mydomain.com' Error: invalid namespace

Public Folder Management Console

When I set up a folder in the PFMC I use the same name as the existing folder on my old 2003 server as I can not get the folder heirarchy to comeover. I setup both my new server and old server as replicas on BOTH servers. I click "update content" screen flashes and then nothing.

The user that has been moved to the 2010 folder can see the new folder I setup but there is no content located in the folder

Something that I just noticed as I am typing this is in my queue on my ex2003 server is a bunch of stuck "messages with an unreachable destination" These all look like public folders trying to contact my other server at "Envelope Recipients: SMTP:publicFolderDatabase1387526947@mydomain.com; "

Any ideas?

C

Chris Morgan - Presidio

SMTP communication must occur between the two Exchange servers for public folder replication to occur. Check to make sure you can telnet to port 25 from each server to the other. If you can't there is an issue. If you can there is still a communication issue just going to be harder to troubleshoot.

L

Leif Hurst

I can telnet from server to server across port 25 on both servers.

J

Jonas Andersson [MCITP]

Hi

Make sure that you don't have any smarthost configured on the default smtp protocol on the 2003 server

And check queue viewer for error messages
Jonas Andersson MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | MCSE/MCSA Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog

L

Leif Hurst

Hi

Make sure that you don't have any smarthost configured on the default smtp protocol on the 2003 server

And check queue viewer for error messages
Jonas Andersson MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | MCSE/MCSA Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog
That did it... They had entered in a smart host for relay unbeknownst to me. Thanks Jonas!

Status
Not open for further replies.