2007->2010 upgreade 'A previous version of Exchange Server is already installed on this machine'

• Thread starter mark kaye
  • Start date Views 878
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark kaye

I'm working in a single server environment. I have Windows 2008 with Exchange 2007 SP2 installed.

i just installed E2007 SP2 (no reboot)
Now I am trying to install Exchange 2010 and getting the following error during SETUP:
A previous version of Exchange Server is already installed on this machine

i thought both could co-exist on the same server & once i migrated my mailboxes i could uninstall 2007?
mark

T

TWHarrington

You cannot have two different versions of exchange on the same server and you cannot do an in place upgrade of Exchange. You will need to install exch 2010 on separate hardware and migrate all mailboxes to it. From: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124350.aspx

"You can't perform an in-place upgrade from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010. However, you can install an Exchange 2010 server into the existing Exchange organization and then move resources, such as mailboxes, public folders, and connectors to Exchange 2010. After you perform this procedure, your organization will be running in a coexistence mode. You can maintain this mode for an indefinite period of time, or you can immediately complete the upgrade to Exchange 2010 by moving all resources from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 and then decommissioning the Exchange 2007 servers."

A good place to start: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exdeploy2010/default.aspx#Home

M

mark kaye

is there a way to uninstall E2007, install E2010 and still be able to migrate the mailboxes?
mark

T

TWHarrington

Where are your mailboxes now? On Exch 2007? You have to have the mailboxes servers up and operational to migrate the mailboxes. You cannot mount databases from a different version of exchange to an exch 2010 server.

F

Frank.Wang

Hi Mark,

Any updates on your issue?

You said you just installed the Exchange 2007, so I guess there are little mailboxes and mails on it.

Suggest you uninstall Exchange 2007 then install Exchange 2010.

If there are many mailboxes on Exchange 2007, you can export mails to PST files first, then import PSTs to Exchange 2010 mailboxes.

How to Export Mailbox Data

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb266964(EXCHG.80).aspx

By the way, it should reboot server after you install the Exchange server.

Frank Wang

M

mark kaye

i have had E2007 for a while, but just installed SP2

exporting to a PST is a good idea, is the export/import done by each user using Outlook, or is there a tool for exchange?
mark

T

TWHarrington

The link that Frank gave you is a method for doing it from the server in bulk. Do not take this decision lightly. I would suggest building a 2010 server and migrating mailboxes to it. It is the most seamless way. If you decided to export data, uninstall exch 2007, rebuilt 2010...then you will have to completely reset up all your organizational configurations, connectors for sending/receiving email, all mailboxes, etc. With this method, you will have at least a days worth of downtime. By building another server, you will have zero downtime.

M

mark kaye

i am a SOHO, i have 2 mailboxes, not sure that makes much difference with the downtime

haven't looked at VM, but i would think it would be a lot more work

if i get another machine up, install E2010, migrate E2007, then i still have to backup E2010, uninstall E2007, install E2010 on main server & import mailboxes
mark

T

TWHarrington

Well with only 2 mailboxes, then copy down all of your org settings and connector settings. Export data (you can do this from Outlook if you want). Uninstall Exch 2007 and build Exch 2010 in its place. Not that it should matter, but I would rename the server before installing 2010, just so there is not chance of any schema weirdness.

With 2 mailboxes...you might also want to look at BPOS - Exchange Online. May be a lot cheaper than maintaining your own Exch server with lic, backup, etc. costs

Status
Not open for further replies.