Re: Does Exchange 2010 support attachment blocking?

• Thread starter Scott Tosti
  • Start date Views 4,149
S

Scott Tosti

I did not... I will try that now.

Do I enter it exactically like you typed it? I assume there needs to be something in place of " Attachment Filter Agent" or it needs to be run from a certain directory?

T

TWHarrington

I mis-spoke. According to this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb201691.aspx

attachment filtering can only be installed on the Edge.

" Notice that attachment filtering is an antivirus feature that isn't enabled or installed. Attachment filtering only runs on the Edge Transport server. However, the file filtering functionality that's provided by Microsoft Forefront Protection for Exchange Server includes advanced features that are unavailable in the default Attachment Filter agent that's included with Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Standard Edition. Forefront Protection for Exchange Server is fully supported on the Hub Transport server role. "

S

Scott Tosti

So if I build an edge server i will be able to block emails with attachments on Exchange 2010 standard?

I am currently in a 60 day eval of the Forefront hosted product. It works fine. If I could block attachments I would not need that product (i don't think...).

Scott

S

Scott Tosti

Forefront Client Security for the OS. Nothing for email. No attachments no viruses...

T

TWHarrington

Hmmm....i wouldn't say, " no attachments, no viruses" . If all you are wanting to do is attachement blocking, then why not just run Forefront for Exchange on the server?

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

and when you block attachments using the built-in attachment filtering with the Edge role, you can't retrieve the stipped attachment.

With an A/V solution you can at least quarantine the attachment if desired.

Not being able to retrieve a legitmate attachment makes for unhappy users.

S

Scott Tosti

I have been an exchange administrator since 1995. I have been blocking all attachments that can deliver a virus since the I love you virus hit. As long as you communicate with your users there is no issue. I use files anywhere so people can move attachments around.

Forefront for Exchange sucks the life out of my proliant server. If I go that route I will do an edge server with Forefront installed. I will say this. The Forefront for Exchange 2010 if fairly easy to use. The hosted solution is as well. It costs less then 1.50 per user per month. You set it and forget it.

One of my user"s requests is to use the Outlook 2007 Junk email folder as the spam quarantine. This works well with Forefront.

Thanks

Scott

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Yes, I agree. Forefront can be a CPU hog, but it is pretty intuitive and usually " just works" The hosted stuff is nice as well. The nice thing is that is OnPremise and Hosted Forefront kinda work together so that's pretty cool. What is interesting is that sometimes Forefront on the Servers will catch something that the hosted ForeFront missed.

Sounds like you got a plan in place.

M

[MT]

See this help ? i would block executable attachement, and streaming media file extension usually according to company policy
[[ Introducing Attachment Inspection in Transport Rules]] from Exchange team.

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2009/05/11/451274.aspx

MT | MCITP ----- Please vote helpful or mark as answer if it's answered your question, this help us follow up the question status.

S

Scott Tosti

I will install Forefront on an Edge server so the performance hit will be irrelevant. I may install their new firewall software on that box as well. Just for fun!