Outlook 2010 with exchange server hangs

• Thread starter BobGates153
  • Start date Views 1,965
B

BobGates153

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:" " ; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:" Calibri" ," sans-serif" ; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:" Times New Roman" ; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:" Calibri" ," sans-serif" ; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:" Times New Roman" ; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

System: Dell Optiplex 980, i7-980 processor, 8GB RAM, Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010, Outlook 2010 connecting with Microsoft Exchange Server

I used Outlook 2007 with WIN XP on my previous computer and can still use that on that machine with no problems over Exchange Server. I can also connect to my email account with my web browser using the web exchange.

When I originally set up Outlook, I was able to connect using the automatic settings that just need my email account and password (it took a number of tries), but Outlook was very slow, and would hang with &ldquo;not responding&rdquo; when I tried to reply or send emails. After a few minutes it would start working again.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled Office/Outlook 2010 and received good advice about how to set up my account manually to exchange server by using the same settings that still work on my XP/Outlook 2007 machine. But this took many tries, with " can't connect to exchange server" messages before it worked.

However, when I click reply to an email, it hangs, the program bars says &ldquo;not responding,&rdquo; and if I wait about 30 seconds it will appear. Sometimes all emails do this, sometimes after the first few others open ok. In the morning, it seems the first three or four will open fast and then it hangs.

When I try to send, the same thing happens, sometimes it hangs for a while.

I also have trouble with opening email contacts, and opening calendar items.

I tried to set up a second profile and create a second email account, but that one won"t connect to exchange server, even when I put in the exact same settings in the dialogue boxes

It gives me this message: &ldquo;The connection to Microsoft exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.&rdquo;

Other things I have tried: deleting all add-ins except exchange server add-in, opening in safe mode. Neither made a difference.

I was using Microsoft Security Essentials, but then tried Avira, and that doesn"t seem to make a difference, even when I disable Avira Guard.

I"m at my wits end.

Bob