Erratic Rule Behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hafy

I've set up a rule to Categorize messages as they appear from certain people who are part of a group within the organization. The rule works fine on new messages but will not apply the Categorization toexisting messages in the Inbox and sub-folders when the application is told to do that.

I know it's a client-side rule, but shouldn't it be able to do this? What am I missing?

Thanks!

H

Hafy

It's strange. I go into the Manage Rules dialog and select Run Rules Now - check for the rule and select to Include subfolders, for All Messages. It looks as if it's processing and yet none of the messages that had been received PRIOR to the creation of the rule get categorized, even though it works fine on any new messages.

N

Niranjan I K

Was Outlook 2010 upgraded from an older version or did you do a clean install?

If you remove and recreate the rule, does it make any difference?

Note: Rule for existing emails will not run automatically, you need to use "Run Rules Now" since Outlook only checks new emails which are sent or received when rules are processed automatically.

H

Hafy

The staff were upgraded with new hardware, Win 7 and Office 2010. The Rule in question was createdafter the update and as I posted earlier, works fine on new messages but seems to ignore the existing messages, even though I run through the 'Run Rules Now' process. For the life of me I can't sort out what the problem is.

Granted, it's not a HUGE problem, but it would be nice to be able to use the Categorization attribute with older content and not have to 'work around' the problem, especially since I'm doing everything according to what the application is expecting as regards the process.

Thank you again for your time.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.