Some message in Inbox don't appear until I change folders.

• Thread starter FolkUT
  • Start date Views 894
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FolkUT

Sometimes (I haven't been able to figure out what triggers it) some of my emails don't show up in the Inbox. The send/receive dialog box shows the correct number of incoming messages but they don't all show up in the inbox. For example, the send/receive dialog box may say I am downloading three messages, but the inbox (and the number of messages displayed by the "inbox" folder) only shows 1 new message. If I change to any other folder, (sent items, for example) the number of messages beside the folder instantly updates to 3 and when I go back to the inbox the missing emails are there.

I originally installed Outlook 2003 on this clean-installed Windows 7 PC. I then later upgraded to Outlook 2010. There is no Exchange server involved... I am downloading messages from both my ISP and another mail provider hosted at Network Solutions. Since the send/recieve dialog box always correctly identifies the number of incoming emails, I'm assuming the problem is local to Outlook. There are no add-ins and only a couple of rules.

Googling this problem turns up a handful of people with the exact same issue (in various versions of Outlook) but I haven't seen a fix.

G

Ganesh Kumar N

F

FolkUT

I had already tried scanpst before the original post and it didn't make a difference. I just finished creating a new profile... we'll see if that solves the problem.

It might take a few days to find out of this is a permanent fix, since the problem is sporadic.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

The usual cause is a NAT router but its odd that its doing it with a non-Exchange account, especially if you use POP3. It could conceivably happen with IMAP or Outlook connector, but I'm not aware of it actually happening.

Are you scanning mail with a virus scanner? Does it happen in Safe mode? (Close Outlook. Hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon to open in safe mode.)

F

FolkUT

I'm not scanning mail with a virus scanner. It *does* happen in Safe mode.

F

FolkUT

Well, after deleting/recreating my profile a couple of times, moving the .pst file to the folder that Outlook "wants" it to be in, exporting and re-importing the .pst file, the problem is still there. But, it's not as I originally described it.

While testing, I would create a couple of emails and then send them to one of my addresses. Frequently, only one would show in the inbox unless I changed folders and then it would appear immediately. What I have found out is that if I wait long enough, the missing emails will show up without me doing anything. Sometimes it takes 5-6 seconds, sometimes more.

This is happening on a very fast quad core I7-860 system with 4GB of ram. Aside from the disc score, the Windows Experience scores are all high (7.3 or 7.4) so whatever is causing the several seconds delay is not not exacerbated by having a slow PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.