adding categories that are NOT in master category list

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenny

In earlier OL versions i extensively used the ablity to type in my own ad-hoc categories, that were not in the Master Category list.

The reason for this was

a) be able to have fluid 'project' categories in tasks without an enormous list of short term categories building up in the master list

b) be able to have different categories for tasks and contacts; eg my contacts might be categorized as say; personal, business, vendors, clients, while my tasks might be categorized kitchen remodel, server install, birthday party.

I also used to have tasks categorized with a task type like 'phone, email, site visit' so that i can quickly see what phone calls there are on my list, or what can be done at my desk vs onsite.

My contact categories are pretty static - but task categories are effectively Projects, and they come and go. I can't find a way to replicate this in OL2k7. There isn't even a task field to type into on the Task form. Old categories are there in an existing task, but I can't chose them, or add them to new tasks.

I don't want to have to pick through a million task categories (projects) whenever I categorize a contact! I want to just type categories in like I used to!

Any ideas?

Forum Admin

You and a lot of other people (myself included). The new color categories is unwieldly to use. Unfortunately, there is no other way - you need to use the category picker.

categories.png

Did you upgrade to color categories? If so, you should be able to select categories using the category picker. (Right click on the top level folder and choose poperties, then upgrade to color categories.)

jenny

Thanks for the reply... and WHAT A SHAME! and a functional downgrade. I like the color categories and welcomed them - my contacts are now attractive and in good order. Works fine for having a low number of static categories. But why give with one hand and take with the other?

Tasks have become that bit more useless without the ability to categorize them as projects on the fly... especially since MS STILL doesn't have hierarchy of tasks and subtasks. Categories were THE only way to manage tasks as part of a project... and NO i don't want to use MS project... especially for projects like 'organize birthday party'! And is it so unreasonable to ask that "Buy Baloons" does NOT show up with my "Server Install" tasks?! Its a wonder that anyone at Microsoft gets anything done using this task list as their productivity tool! Perhaps they use Lotus Notes or something. (sorry for the rant - just hoping someone from MS notices!).

You and a lot of other people (myself included). The new color categories is unwieldly to use. Unfortunately, there is no other way - you need to use the category picker.

Status
Not open for further replies.