Unified Messaging on Exchange 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

duncan320

Hi All.

We have setup and working Unified Messaging as part of our Exchange 2010 setup. The majority of users have voicemail on this. I am sure we are not alone in this issue but when staff are off or away on leave it is common for them to pass the PIN number to other staff they work with so they can access any urgent voicemails, but they would never give them there network login etc. The problem is once you have the PIN you can then listen to the e-mails, so its as good as having the network login in some ways. Is there a way to stop this, i was hope there was something in the policy for this but nothing at all. Any ideas ? Before anyone suggests it, its not a answer to give all users a shared mailbox.

Thanks

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Your company should have a policy against this the same as giving someone their AD logon credentials if its a problem. This is a policy issue not a technology problem. If they need someone else to check their voicemails, they should create an Outlook Voice Rule that routes the call to another user.

M

Michel de Rooij

So you want Unified Messaging but not for all messages? Seems a bit strange to me and rather a company policy issue (like Andy said) than a technical omission.

From workaround perspective, in addition to voice rules, is it not an option to create an inbox rules putting all voicemails in a dedicated folder (during absence, can use a date-span for that), granting sufficient permissions there for the monitoring person to monitor voice mail messages? I know this makes listening to these messages dialing the voice mail box impossible, but it's a workaround.
Michel de Rooij,
MCITP Ent.Msg 2007+2010| MCTS W2008, Ex2007+2010 Conf, OCS2007 Conf | MCSE+Msg2k3 | MCSE+Inet2k3 | Prince2 Fnd | ITIL
I blog on http://eightwone.wordpress.com/ and tweet on http://twitter.com/mderooij

B

Brian Day MCITP

I am sure we are not alone in this issue but when staff are off or away on leave it is common for them to pass the PIN number to other staff they work with so they can access any urgent voicemails, but they would never give them there network login etc.

This is not a good practice. How do the users whom are away handle "urgent email" when they are out?

D

duncan320

I agree it is a policy issue, but it should be a option that you can turn on/off via a policy. There is very little options in the voicemail policy settings. For some of our people and the nature of business its via the phone, e-mail is there but not the major form of communication for some people. The out of office 2nd greeting on voicemail is good, but for some users they cant say im away wait 2 weeks, the phone needs to goto the standard voicemail and someone else will ring them back. I guess its a good feature (for us anyway) that you could turn this on/off. I was expecting to find a set of tick box's for this in the policy like enable mail, calendar, contacts etc, but sadly nothing. Might be worth thinking about in future SP or updates.

S

Steve Goodman

Hi Duncan,

Have you investigated Andy's suggestion above; to use Call Answering Rules? These can be setup by each user in ECP/OWA Options under "Voice".

At it's simple a call answering rule could be setup to transfer the caller to someone else if Automatic Replies are turned on.

For example, I have a similar rule. If automatic replies are on, or my calendar shows I am away from the office that day, the caller is prompted to be transferred to my team's hunt group for urgent enquiries or for non-urgent enquires to leave me a message. The hunt group calls everyone in the team, and if no answer goes to a single UM-enabled shared mailbox that's also used for team enquiries; but it could easily go to just someone I know will be in. I couldn't see your scenario above actually working where my team log into my voicemail every hour or so and check my voicemail just in case.

Steve

Steve Goodman
Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.