Unable to export Outlook 2007 data to Excel or Access

  • Thread starter JW5
  • Start date Views 1,874
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JW5

I am trying to export my calendar and contacts from Outlook 2007 to Excel or Access. I go through the Import/Export wizard, select " Export to a file" , select either Excel or Access, and specify a file name and location, but I then get the following error message:

Translation Error...ODBC Driver Manager...Data source name not found and no default driver specified.

Are there ODBC drivers missing that need to be installed? How do I fix this problem? I tried exporting to comma delimited and tab delimited file formats, but my data does not export correctly, probably due to embedded carriage returns in the data.
 

Karl Timmermans

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
#1 - Outlook tab-delimited files do not play well with the rest of the world including Excel and Access when " multi-line" fields (such as address, body etc) are involved. Experience with Outlook tab-delim files is that these are problematic and from the tests we ran - the only MS product that can deal with an Outlook generated tab delim file is Outlook itself (ContactGenie products had to be modified to deal with multi-line field tab-delim files specifically created by Outlook). Really no reason to ever select " tab-delimited" unless that is the ONLY option available in whatever program is ultimately going to use the file which would be a rare circumstance. (For those who care about technical trivia - issue stems from/relates to the field " text qualifier" characters).

#2 - MS generated CSV files and handling of same has to be one of the most reliable of anything out there. Can't recall any kind of CSV file generated by Outlook that wasn't handled correctly by Excel or Access regardless of what kind of fields are involved (including the exact same data used to create a tab-delim file which has problems). So to that end - assuming there are no driver issues involved - question becomes:

" in reference to the CSV file exported - what do you mean exactly when stating that data does not export correctly?"

When exporting multi-line fields to Excel or Access - these will " appear" to be incomplete since there are embedded line breaks in the field and the data is not fully visible until the field is expanding in either the Excel or Access user-interface.

#3 - As for the translation error - what is the <complete> error message that is displayed?
 
R

rjkats

I am having a similar problem - trying to import contacts from Outlook 2007 to Access 2007 -
error message reads: can't overwrite table or query " contacts"

When I first tried I chose the option to link the programs and didn't get anywhere before I got the error message, so I went back & unchecked that and got to the point to choose the access primary key and it showed my partial contacts in table form. When I clicked next it went to the " finish" screen. when I hit finish it gives me the same error.

If I try to do it by exporting from Outlook to Access, access is looking for an .mdb file which I made by exporting from Outlook but the option is Access 97-2003 (- none for 2007). When I select this & try to open it nothing has transferred.
 

Karl Timmermans

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
In reference to no .accdb (Access 2007) option when exporting from Outlook to Access - that's correct - there is no option for Excel .xlsx or Access .accdb formats - whether '2007 or '2010. BCM on the other hand does support those formats in its import/export functionality which is an entirely different import/export process from standard Outlook.

In reference to nothing being transferred when exporting from Outlook - did you manually " map" the fields to ensure that there were fields selected for export?

In reference to importing Outlook contacts into Access
- from the error message - sounds like there is something in your Access database that is preventing a pre-existing contacts table from being deleted. Did you try this from an empty Access database or one that already had tables in it (perhaps a contacts table that was already <linked> to Outlook)
- have very seldom used the Outlook to Access mode via Access - have never been able to get the <import> function to work when a contact folder involved. Link to a contact table has never been an issue but importing to a table has been a problem so perhaps someone with more MS Access experience may be able to shed some light on that aspect of the <Access> import process which is completely different from exporting from Outlook to Access.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top