Difference between Outlook Junk function and personal server level blocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

comic999

I have a personal server with it's own control panel. This allows me to block unwanted spam at the server level direct (Not a web based email address).This works pretty well. I do receive some e mails which appear to have my email address as the sender. Obviously this is done so that one is reluctant to block ones own address. With outlook the junk mail filter works fine either with a mail with a false sender ID, or with my own address forged and does not block my mail.

I analyse the headers in junk mail to try to establish the real sender ID and this works to a fair degree and I block this in my personal control panel on my server.

However, my query is that how comes Outlook's junk mail recognise the true sender and blocks without affecting my own address? What is it seeing that I cannot always find in the mail headers? If I knew this, I could then firmly block at server level without being wary od blocking the ISP completely.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

I suspect, though I don't know for sure, that Outlook isn't looking so much at the sender address as it is looking at the message content and deciding the message is probably junk.

C

comic999

Hi Ben

Many thanks, I can see where you are coming from, but I have done quite a bit of research using the Ripe database to find whois on the domain numbers, often there are hosted by IANA who seem to be the main carrier of junk and spam. Often the report comes back "this is really world wide and user unknown" Occasionally I do get information to effectivly block. I don't think it is a "content" factor as the junk is varied and often nothing other than a link appears in the text area, or most of the content is in JPG form, so as not to be recognised as text. When I block in Outlook it works pretty well and I think, on a community basis also. what I am wondering is what outlook is recognising (I don't think text) is what I need for my server spam blocker, the actual source of the mail which outlook seems to know but don't tell.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

It may be the lack of text as much as text. An e-mail that is entirely a JPG, not sent by a trusted sender, is probably pretty high on the spam-o-meter for Outlook's filter. Same for an e-mail that is only a link and nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.