Outlook report the error - "Cannot display the folder. There is not enough free memory to run this p

• Thread starter Dmitry Bond
  • Start date Views 7,081
D

Dmitry Bond

Hi.

All line of MS Office products since the Office 2003 has the same problem (bug?) in MS Outlook - it reports the " Cannot display the folder. There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one of more programs, and then try again" error after some time.

Here are the details:

1) http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook.installation/browse_thread/thread/eb90fb86d55e9ad1#

2) http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Office_Productivity/Groupware/Outlook/Q_26331186.html3)

3) http://cid-d4095215c101cece.office.live.com/self.aspx/For.Support.Teams/Q26331186 - Permanent problems with MS Outlook 2007^_2003 since Feb 2010.pdf

After long discussions and lot of solution variants tried problem still not solved!

So, it looks like a critical conceptual bug in the MS Outlook 2003/2007/2010. Wondering why Microsoft ignoring it for such a long time?!?!?

Do you have any idea - how to solve this problem?!

Btw,

If you have a lazy Microsoft Outlook developer guy around please kick him to make this bug fixed.

If you are the lazy Microsoft Outlook developer guy please kick yourself and fix it.

Regards,

Dmitry.

WBR, Dmitry.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Maybe they are ignoring it because they can't repro it and it only affects a few people?

Anyway, what worked for others - find and delete the windows messaging subsystem key in both user and local machine hives then repair the office install and make new profiles.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem

D

Dmitry Bond

Maybe they are ignoring it because they can't repro it and it only affects a few people?

Anyway, what worked for others - find and delete the windows messaging subsystem key in both user and local machine hives then repair the office install and make new profiles.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem

I have already tried this - IT DOES NOT WORK! So, this is not a solution!!!

Also, seems you have not read the PDF I enclosed - this answer was already listed there.

Please suggest something that will work!

WBR, Dmitry.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
This is not a common problem - that it happens for you with both Outlook 2003 and 2007 indicates that the problem is likely software unique to your situtation. It could be an addin, the antivirus, or something else you have installed. If you can't identify the problem using Outlok's safe mode or booting windows into safe mode (this disables antivirus and other services that may be causing problems) then you should open a support incident with PSS.

D

Dmitry Bond

This is not a common problem - that it happens for you with both Outlook 2003 and 2007 indicates that the problem is likely software unique to your situtation. It could be an addin, the antivirus, or something else you have installed. If you can't identify the problem using Outlok's safe mode or booting windows into safe mode (this disables antivirus and other services that may be causing problems) then you should open a support incident with PSS.

As I already mentioned - I DO NOT USE ANY ADD-INS! (this was mentioned in the original question and discussion)

So, ADD-INS MUST NOT BE MENTIONED as the root of this issue! 100% sure - THIS IS NO ADD-INS!

Antivirus - 3 different computers I have tried it have different antiviruses - Symatec, KAV, DrWeb - all of them have exactly the same problem.

So, for sure - the antivirus is not a problem also!

Ok. Could you please please briefly describe what is PSS? and how to open incident there?

WBR, Dmitry.

D

Dmitry Bond

PSS is Microsoft Product Support Services. Start here: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/gp_selectoffice_oas

So in Options, Addins there are absolutely no addins listed?

In the options I have ONLY THE MICROSOFT ADD-INS!

And only 2 of them are enabled:

1) Microsoft Exchange Add-In

2) Microsoft VBA for Outlook Add-In

Assume 1st one is anyway required because I'm working with Exchange. 2nd - I prefer to left it ON just for a case.

WBR, Dmitry.

D

Dmitry Bond

Hm... they are charging for a support! :-(

Where is guarantee that they WILL REALLY HELP to solve this issue but not just send me bunch of non-working urls?!

Did somebody tried such support?

PS. I have entered a ProductID=02244-112-5147864-28972 but it reported problem with it. But that is correct ID.

WBR, Dmitry.

N

Nourelain

This problem has to with having alot of public folders (or mailbox folders) that get synchronized with the Exchange server.Since Outlook 2007 SP2 this problem exists and Microsoft is aware of this, but nothing is being done since over a year now.

When a limit of around 11750 'connections' is reached, Outlook starts to show this error. You can monitor the connections by right-clicking on the Outlook icon in the status bar while pressing the CTRL key and selecting 'Connection status'

Sometimes it helps to go offline and online again, many times it will work for another 10 minutes, but this works not always.

Regards,

Adrian

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

This problem has to with having alot of public folders (or mailbox folders) that get synchronized with the Exchange server.Since Outlook 2007 SP2 this problem exists and Microsoft is aware of this, but nothing is being done since over a year now.

The OP in this thread says he's had the issue since Outlook 2003 so it may be that he's seeing something different than you are.

D

Dmitry Bond

What version of Exchange are you using?

The Lawyer'

Exchange version is 6.5.7654.12 which is seems matching the " Exchange 2003" .

@Nourelain: Thanks for the hint with Public Folders. I'll try to check amount of opened connections when Outlook starts reporting that error again.

WBR, Dmitry.

D

Dmitry Bond

Dmitry, do you use a lot of public folders?

I do not use them. But they do exists - seems size is quite huge. Not sure if I can turn it off completely - Outlook do not allow to do it.

Btw, I just clicked on a tree-button to expand the root level of Public Folders - it already took 5 minutes but still expading it - Outlook hanging...

So, that is why I think - them are " huge" .

I just checked account settings - the " Download Public Folders Favourites" is already turned OFF.

Not sure if I also should turn off " Download shared folder" option... just turned it OFF also - will check how it works without it.

WBR, Dmitry.

D

Dmitry Bond

More details:

I have found that in 80% cases if I click [Reconnect] button in the " Connection Status" window, then wait 20 sec and click any next folder in the Inbox - all folders became viewable again (so - no more " not enough memory" error instead of folder content) and Outlook will be able to work for next 40-60 minutes - sending/receiving emails, also - not lost the calendar view settings.

And this usually works for next 3-5 reconnects, after that it will deadly stuck with the " not enough memory" error and the only option - restart Outlook (reconnects are not helping anymore).

Outlook memory usage level is about to be the same in all cases = 420-450Mb (when Outlook just started memory usage = 75Mb only!).

So, as you can see - now it works a bit more better, but of course - it is sill the problem! :-\

And seems it looks like a memory leak pattern.

WBR, Dmitry.

D

Dmitry Bond

> ..

Also, it is interesting that I have never seen the " not enough memory" error for the " Inbox" folder itself! It could report " not enough memory" error for " Sent items" or " Outbox" or any other folder, but not for the " Inbox" ... looks strange.

Another symptom - when other folders shows " not enough memory" message, the " Calendar" folder lost its view settings - switched to ListView and change TimeScale from 15 min to 30 min.

WBR, Dmitry.

D

Dmitry Bond

How many public folders do you have?

I have no idea. But seems - a lot.

I have clicked " Folder Size" for " Public Folders" and the counter came to a value of 5600 folders and it is still counting. It took about 30 min to count first 5600 folders but the more it counting, the slower it is running. :-\

So, yes - lot of public folders. But(!), as I specified before - I never use it! So, it was the first time I have expanded the " Public Folders" branch in a tree in Outlook.

WBR, Dmitry.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

And your organization really NEEDS to have that many public folders? That seems unreasonably excessive to me. (and a major resource drain)

D

Dmitry Bond

And your organization really NEEDS to have that many public folders? That seems unreasonably excessive to me. (and a major resource drain)

I do not care if my organization need it or not - because (1) I'm not who decide this, (2) I'm not using Public Folders at all (btw, I have seens a end of it =~20.000 folders in total).

I'm interested in a finding a solution to make my Outlook working fine!

It could be - disable Public Folder at all (is it posible?).

Or do something to make Microsoft fix the issue. Whatever - I just need a solution!

Please.

WBR, Dmitry.