Changing 'NTFS allocation unit size' in a DAG environment (Exchange 2010 running on windows 2008 R2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sabo_e

How would one go about changing the "NTFS allocation unit size" from 4K to the recommended size of 64K for edb and log volumes? Can this be accomplish online? We are running Exchange 2010 in a DAG environment with an active and passive copy of our edb stores and log file. All DAG members are windows 2008 R2.

Thanks in advance

J

Justin.King

THe allocation size occurs during initial format of the volume. I could be mistaken but I believe your only option is to reformat the partition in the right size block size.

Depending on how many Nodes you have with a copy of the Database it may not be that bad, however, as you can dynamically remove/reseed copies giving you the flexibility of "walking" a freshly formated NTFS partition out to each of your nodes. Obviously a Geographic cluster could pose some unique bandwidth challenges.

S

Steve Goodman

Yep you would re-format the log/DB drives.

First make sure you have good backups, and ideally 3 copies not 2 - in case you have a outage.

Easiest way would be to remove the database copies from the "passive" server (using EMC to "remove" them, though IIRC it will leave the defunct DB and log files), and reformat. Then re-add the "passive" server's DB copies and wait for seeing.

Then failover all the DBs, backup, and repeat on the other server.

Steve

Steve Goodman
Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

S

sabo_e

Is there a way to pause the passive node and then reseed the whole database back onto the new formatted storage from the active node. All servers in our DAG are on a high speed network within the same blade chassis and storage.
thanks for the information.

J

Jonas Andersson [MCITP]

Is there a way to pause the passive node and then reseed the whole database back onto the new formatted storage from the active node. All servers in our DAG are on a high speed network within the same blade chassis and storage.
thanks for the information.

Check this link for info about the database reseed
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335158.aspx
Jonas Andersson MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | MCSE/MCSA Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog

Status
Not open for further replies.