Hierarchical tasks solutions for Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rulls

I've read a lot of complaint about the lack of support for hierarchical tasks in Outlook, but I haven't found much solid recommendation for how to work around the shortcoming.

In the absence of true hierarchical tasks, what strategies are people using to achieve similar task organization and grouping? What fields are you using? How best to modify the task view for multi-level grouping? (Can multiple levels of grouping criteria, that behave like " Group by Categories," by applied to the task view?)

What about add-ins? I've also been searching for quality add-ins for task management. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

S

Sanwin2

Our solution was to go over to Microsoft Project. Not a direct answer to your question but the option we chose given that outlook isn't a project planning tool.

R

Rulls

Thanks for your reply. MS Project is a very heavy solution for to-do item management. And the integration of tasks with the calendar function of Outlook becomes quite a bit more complicated. I use Project a great deal for real project work; would consider it as a last alternative for this purpose.

Thanks again for your reply.

R

Rulls

Still interested in a solution to this problem that does not involve resorting to MS Project for to-do list management.

However, a related question that pertains to Project-Outlook integration: without Project Server running (only Project and Outlook clients running on desktop), is there a means by which certain tasks in Project can be " sent" to Outlook and appear on the user's task list and calendar in Outlook?

R

Rulls

Thank you for your reply.

I had previously looked into Google Tasks, which does support hierarchical tasks. In contrast with the " heavy" nature of MS Project as a to-do item tool, Google Tasks is on the other extreme. It is " light" to the extreme, lacking support for data fields and functionality that I would consider essential for a serious task manager. I have been anticipating that Google would at some point expand the functionality of Tasks to provide a more robust solution. Outlook task management has great functionality save for the one glaring omission; Google Tasks lacks a great deal of the functionality of Outlook, save for the one key feature that Outlook lacks. I'm wondering who will get it right first.

Good thought, thanks for the suggestion. Still looking for the right answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.