duplicate accounts in Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

macfreeman7

So I recently purchased the new Office 2010 from my school. I am dealing with a particular issue with the new Outlook. Both Outlook 2007 and 2010 have an easy method to set up your gmail (or other email accounts) with office. My gmail is synced with Outlook every time I get a new email/send, or whatever. My issue is that now I have an Outlook Data File in addition to a gmail account. This means there are duplicates of inbox, sent folders, etc. Sometimes when I type a new email and save it, the draft goes to the Outlook Data File and not the gmail draft folder. Is there a way to merge them? I tried deleting the Outlook Data file but it won't let me. I even tried uninstalling Outlook, but I can't get rid of it. I want my default account to be the gmail account, but when I try to change it, the option is grayed out.

Thanks for any help!

R

Russ Valentine

You cannot run Outlook without using an Outlook Data File unless you are running against Exchange Server (and you are not). What made you think you wanted to run without an Outlook Data File?

If you have further questions about your setup, you'll need to provide more information. Gmail can use with IMAP or POP3. You didn't state which you were uisng and you would ned to provide that information.

Russ Valentine

M

macfreeman7

Hmm... I suppose I didn't want to run it with an Outlook Data File (ODF) because it obviously was no help to me, only seemingly a second account with empty folders. I would rather have the gmail account BE the ODF, but for some reason they are separate and conflicting, as I said before.

Is there a way to place the gmail account inside the ODF? I am using IMAP.

R

Russ Valentine

Outlook is operating the way it should with an IMAP account. There is no such thing as an " ODF." Outlook data files have a PST extension. I suspect you are simply not familar with how Outlook works with IMAP.

Beyond that, tell us what problem you are having that needs to be fixed. You haven't elucidated any " conflict" so far.Russ Valentine

M

macfreeman7

I was simply using ODF for shorthand, not a file extension. And yes, I am not familiar with outlook. The conflict I am referring to is the fact that I have two inboxes, two sent mail, two draft folders, and so on. If outlook is working properly, then do you know of another way I can have simply one account in outlook that just uses gmail? I had gmail set up in outlook in office 2007 and never had this type of issue.

Thanks!

R

Russ Valentine

If you set up Outlook only to use gmail, then it is only using gmail. If you have duplicate PST files, then you may have corrupted your profile. State how you installed and configured Outlook 2010 and migrated your data. I hope you didn't attempt an in place upgrade.Russ Valentine

G

Glendon H

Russ,

Keep your answers simple and ask for clarification without over analyzing if you don't understand his question.

Now, I believe he has duplicate pst files and he wants to delete one and make his G-Mail pst file the default. He is not able to delete the other one because it is grayed out.

macfreeman7, please correct me if I also misunderstood your question.

M

macfreeman7

Sorry if I am using the wrong terminology - I'm sure it can be hard to understand someone.

As far as configuring, I basically set up an IMAP account by adding my google user name and password. It then imported all of my mail automatically, which was nice and easy.

Yes, I want to make the gmail pst file the default account, but the OPTION to do so is the part that is grayed out.

I just don't know why it sees them as two separate accounts. Here is a screen shot of what I am dealing with. As you can see, the highlighted account has the default option grayed out. Also, if you look the the left, you can see that there are two accounts - Outlook, and then gmail below it.

Not sure if this helps or not, but when I try and delete the other one (the non gmail account), it says " The default data file cannot be removed, because it is your default delivery location. After you have selected a different default delivery location, your current file can be removed."

R

Russ Valentine

What you're seeing is perfectly normal for an IMAP account. With IMAP your messages reside on the server rather than being brought down into your local data file. But IMAP has no provision for Calendars and Contacts, so Outlook must create itw own local data file to store those items. That's why you see data exisitng in those two places. But you only have one account, and that is your gmail account.Russ Valentine

R

Russ Valentine

You have been corrected. Now you see why we needed clarification.Russ Valentine

R

Russ Valentine

Russ,

Keep your answers simple and ask for clarification without over analyzing if you don't understand his question.

Now, I believe he has duplicate pst files and he wants to delete one and make his G-Mail pst file the default. He is not able to delete the other one because it is grayed out.

macfreeman7, please correct me if I also misunderstood your question.

You stand corrected. I understood the question and now you see why we needed clarification.Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.