moving mailbox cross forest

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHat is needed to move mailboxes from a exchange 2003 forest to a exchange 2010 separate forest? Also can you copy mailboxes from one server to another without removing the mailbox from the orignal server?

I have seen this article and will look at it more as I test. Specifically we are moving from 2003 forest to a 2010 resource forest. So are there differences in the process of moving mailboxes when you are to use linked accounts? My understanding is the new accounts will not be migrated accounts but accounts that are created in new forest and then disabled and linked with accounts in the previoud forest.

Thanks

A

Allen Song

Hi,

Your understanding is right since the objectsid is different even though it can preserve the original sidhistory.

Thanks

Allen

Thanks. By original you mean the sidhistory of the accounts created in the new forest or the accounts form the trusted forest that will link to the mailbox?

A

Allen Song

Hi,

For the sidhistroy, you need to migrate it by using ADMT.

Thanks

Allen

There is an option when creating a mailbox to create a " linked" mailbox. I can then choose a user account from trusted forest to link to his new mailbox. Does this process ceate the attributes you are descrining; msExchMasterAccountHistory, msExchMasterAccountSid, msExchRecipientDisplayType. If so the only other step I need to do is migrate the mailbox data over, correct?

I am doing a resource forest not a complete migration, I do not see much information on new-moverequest preparation for linked\disabled accounts.

Could you tell me I need to do someting else to prepare the resource forest for mailbox migratin as I am getting this a lot:

PS] C:\Windows\system32>new-moverequest -identity ripleytools.local\harlana -re

motelegacy -targetdatabase 'mailbox database 1158966044' -remoteglobalcatalog 'c

romwell-mail.ripleytools.local' -remotecredential (get-credential ripleytools\ad

ministrator) -targetdeliverydomain ripley-tools.com -whatif

The operation couldn't be performed because object 'ripleytools.local\harlana'

couldn't be found on 'cw-dc3.capewell.local'.

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [New-MoveRequest], Manag

ementObjectNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : AF546B23,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Recipient

Tasks.NewMoveRequest

A

Allen Song

Hi,

Before running moverequest, you should first move the user account, then the target user account has the mandatory attributes. For the linked mailbox, the target user must have the msExchMasterAccountHistory, msExchMasterAccountSid and msExchRecipientDisplayType besides the mandatory attributes. You can use ILM or ADMT or third party utility to do the directory synchronization.
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2010/08/10/455779.aspx

Thanks

Allen

Allen Song

In my case I am creating a RESOURCE forest so the user account remains in the user account forest and the new mailbox is linked to a new but disabled account in the RESOURCE forest. I am not moving the user accounts because they are staying in the accounts forest. I did do a preparemoverequest.ps1 on this account successfully befiore i tried the new-moverequest unsuccessfully. Am I on the right track and why would I be getting the above error?

L

Leif Pedersen [MVP]

Hi,

Did you try the move request using the e-mail address of the user to be moved (the identity part of the request)?

Leif

Yes Leif I did and everything looks and seems to be working fine. I didn't use ADMT or anything else and attributes were on the new account created and mialboxes could be moved back and forth. Maybe this is all that is needed.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee861103.aspx

This example provisions a single linked mail-enabled user in the local forest, when there is forest trust between the remote forest and local forest.

First, run the following commands to get the local forest and remote forest credentials.

Copy Code

$LocalCredentials = Get-Credential $RemoteCredentials = Get-Credential

Then, run the following command to pass the credential information to the LocalForestCredential and RemoteForestCredential parameters in the Prepare-MoveRequest.ps1 script.

Copy Code

Prepare-MoveRequest.ps1 -Identity JamesAlvord@Contoso.com -RemoteForestDomainController DC001.Fabrikam.com -RemoteForestCredential $RemoteCredentials -LocalForestDomainController DC001.Contoso.com -LocalForestCredential $LocalCredentials -LinkedMailUser

Status
Not open for further replies.