How to apply filter when printing a view in contacts

• Thread starter bodOrange
  • Start date Views 837
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bodOrange

Hi,

I am trying to print a telephone directory of all contacts for which I have at least one non-empty home, business or mobile telephone property.

I then want to print this view using either the card or telephone directory predefined print styles. The idea being to have a printed telephone list that excludes contacts for which I have no telephone number.

So, I have copied the address card view (reasob being this is one of the views that allows selecting card or directory print styles. I have then customised the displayed fields (selecting only files-as and the 3 telephone number fields). I then set a filter (SQL).

Selecting the view from the list, all displays as anticipated: All the contacts for which I don't have any telephone numbers are omitted.

However, when I print-preview this view, it shows all contacts. The filter does not seem to be applied when printing. Though other views settings do carry over to the print view.

I have since found the filter is only applied when printing table print style.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am using Outlook, Office 2007 SP2.

Thanks.

N

Natasha Dsouza

Are you trying to print the contacts from within Outlook or have you exported the data to excel or access database?

Are you trying to use this feature through mail merge in Outlook?

When you sort the contacts and select print preview does the preview include omitted data?

Are you using the options to print card within Outlook or any other application?

Do provide us more information on the issue so that we can assist you better.

B

bodOrange

Are you trying to print the contacts from within Outlook or have you exported the data to excel or access database?

Are you trying to use this feature through mail merge in Outlook?

When you sort the contacts and select print preview does the preview include omitted data?

Are you using the options to print card within Outlook or any other application?

Do provide us more information on the issue so that we can assist you better.

Hi Natasha and thanks for replying.

I am attempting to print directly from Outlook. I'm not using mail merge. Nor am I using or exporting to any other application.

I select my view whilst in the outlook contacts folder. The view displays and filters the records as expected. i.e. the contacts that have all null phone fields are omitted from the view - this is what I want.

I then go to 'File|PageSetup|Phone Directory Style' or 'File|PageSetup|Card Style'. From the resulting dialog box I click 'Print Preview'. The resuts include ALL records. The filter is ignored in the print operation. This happens whether I build a filter via the advnaced tab or the SQL tab of Custom view dialog.

More generally, it seems any filter, whether created via 'advanced' or 'sql' tab in view definitons, is not applied when printing that view.

I can paste the query, but it seems whetever the selection criteria, filters are not applied when printing card style or similar views. The filter IS applied when prnting a view using a table print-style.

Thanks for any guidance.

B

bodOrange

OK, I'll forget trying to troubleshoot my attempt and start again.

How do I print a filtered list of contacts in the Phone Directory print style?

Is this possible or does it require programmatic control of outlook to achieve it?

Thanks for any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.