Extending the schema from Windows Server 2003 R2 x64??

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MCrank

I am attempting to update the Schema in our Lab Forest for E2K10 SP1. I am getting the WER.DLL cannot be found for setup.com. This is on a x64 2003 R2 Std DC (Schema Master). After some digging around I found a few articles that kind of led me to believe that I cannot run setup.com on a 64-BIT 2003 R2 server but nothing that came right out and stated this was the case. Is this true that only Server 2003/2008/2008 R2 are supported?

I am documenting this for our customer and would like to get a definitive answer so we can make adjustments to getting the updates deployed once we go to production. i.e. x-fer the Schema Master or just build a temp 2008 x64 server in the forets root to perform the updates since we only have 2003 R2 servers in that domain. If you have a link showing the answer it would be much appreciated.

Marco

M

MCrank

Thank you for the prompt response. I have looked at those articles and the thing that I dont understand is that 2003 R2 is not specifically listed. I guess you can read it a couple of ways and just assume that since it says 2003 Service Pack 1 or later that R2 is covered but they also are specifically listing 2008 R2. I have a hard time swallowing that 2003 R2 is not supported but I have seen stranger things. I ran setup.com on a 2008 R2 server and it ran fine. It just appears to not run on 2003 R2.
Component Requirement

Schema master

By default, the schema master runs on the first Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller installed in a forest. The schema master must be running any of the following:
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or later (32-bit or 64-bit) Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with SP1 or later (32-bit or 64-bit) Windows Server 2008 Standard or Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit) Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard or Enterprise

Global catalog server

In each Active Directory site where you plan to install Exchange 2010, you must have at least one global catalog server running any of the following:
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition with SP1 or later (32-bit or 64-bit) Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with SP1 or later (32-bit or 64-bit) Windows Server 2008 Standard or Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit) Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard or Enterprise

For more information about global catalog servers, see What is the Global Catalog.

Domain controller

In each Active Directory site where you plan to install Exchange 2010, you must have at least one writeable domain controller running any of the following:
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition with SP1 or later (32-bit or 64-bit) Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with SP1 or later (32-bit or 64-bit) Windows Server 2008 Standard or Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit) Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard or Enterprise Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

Active Directory forest

Active Directory must be at Windows Server 2003 forest functionality mode or higher.

M

MCrank

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I just want to make sure I get the documentation correct in that they will need to join one of these boxes to the Root domain to perform the Schema Updates. They will surely ask me why they have to do this and I wanted to have something to back up the decision that they are not able to run them from a machine currently in the Root Domain. Empty Root with 4 DCs all of them 2003 R2 Std. I am just not able to find anywhere that states 2003 R2 is specific is not supported.

In any case I know what needs to be done. Thanks for the help.

Marco

B

Brian Desmond -MVP-

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I just want to make sure I get the documentation correct in that they will need to join one of these boxes to the Root domain to perform the Schema Updates. They will surely ask me why they have to do this and I wanted to have something to back up the decision that they are not able to run them from a machine currently in the Root Domain. Empty Root with 4 DCs all of them 2003 R2 Std. I am just not able to find anywhere that states 2003 R2 is specific is not supported.

In any case I know what needs to be done. Thanks for the help.

Marco
Marco-

If you transfer the Schema FSMO to a DC in the domain hosting the Exchange box you plan to run forestprep on that should do the trick too.

My Book - Active Directory, 4th Edition
My Blog - www.briandesmond.com

M

MCrank

Yes that is our other option. I was just looking for a reason why it will run on Server 2003 but not the R2 version of it, at least from all the documentation I have found.

Again thanks for the help Brian. The easiest will be to join our Exchange server to the root and do the Schema updates and then join it back to the child domain.

Marco

B

Brian Desmond -MVP-

Yes that is our other option. I was just looking for a reason why it will run on Server 2003 but not the R2 version of it, at least from all the documentation I have found.

Again thanks for the help Brian. The easiest will be to join our Exchange server to the root and do the Schema updates and then join it back to the child domain.

Marco
That looks like a doc bug. The issue is the Exchange setup executables having a dependency not the actual AD schema.My Book - Active Directory, 4th Edition
My Blog - www.briandesmond.com

Status
Not open for further replies.