OUtlook 2010 not connecting after CASArray configured

• Thread starter raman03
  • Start date Views 3,324
R

raman03

Hello,

We have recently installed new Exchange 2010 servers. I was able to connect to mailboxes using CAS server name in Outlook. Since, I have created client access array and changed RPCClinetAccessArray on mailbox database when ever I try to create a new Outlook profile for the mailbox located on this particualr database it asks me for ID and password and once I provide that it gives me error as "

" The action could not be completed. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action" .

Could you please let me know what else I can do to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Raman

What version of Outlook are you using.

Also did you create a DNS record for the FQDN of the CAS Array

T

tevako

Generally speaking this error is usually caused by a problem with Outlook Anywhere. I would try the suggestion above about the DNS server entry. If you are running Outlook 2010 I've seen this error occur because the internal URL and external URL were not configured properly (if you are getting this error from inside your own network). If it works fine inside your own network but not outside then you'll definitely want to dig in to the Outlook Anywhere settings on the Exchange server. If you could provide us with more information perhaps we'd be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

Greg Negelow MCITP Enterprise Administrator MCITP Exchange 2010 Enterprise Messaging Administrator

R

raman03

Hello RVT,

I am using Outlook 2010. Yes, I did create DNS record for FQDN for CAS Array in our internal DNS.

Hello Tevako,

I am seeing this issue internally. Would you please let me know what do you mean by internal and external URL are not configured properly. Our Outlook Anywhere has been working for more than 2 years using Exchange 2007. We are in the process of re-directing it using Exchange 2010 servers.

For now I just want to access Exchange 2010 mailboxes internally. I think Outlook Anywhere should not make any affect internally to access Exchange 2010 mailboxes using Outlook 2010.

I could able to access Exchange 2010 mailboxes using individual Exchange 2010 CAS servers name. I tested that on another database.

As, I mentioned in my original question that I did receive the prompt for ID and password when I try to configure new profile for mailbox on the database in question. I can see that it did find the " Server name" as CAS Arrayname but it is unable to resolve that user id and keep prompting me for user id and password and then fails with error

" The action could not be completed. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action" .

I was wondering that Outlook did reach to the CAS server using Cas Array name because it is asking me for ID and password but it does not go any further.

Hello Exch50,

I already did check that article before posting this question but it only talks about Outlook encryption that if Outlook encryption is not enable on Outlook we will see these errors. Since, I am able to access mailbox if I do not use Cas array. I am using same Outlook 2010 machine that is why I thought that there are no issues due to encryption.

I appreciate all your responses. Please let me know if you have any other advise.

Thanks,

Raman

So to confirm you " Set-MailboxDatabase <name> -RPCClientAccessServer <internal_only_CAS_Array_FQDN>" on the Database in question?

Are you able to access the users mailbox via OWA internally?

T

tevako

Try the information in the above post. You have created a new CAS server array using Exchange 2010 so when you connect via Outlook (which by default uses Outlook Anywhere in Outlook 2007 and above) then you need to verify that all of your Outlook Anywhere settings and certs are correct. You can also use the get-outlookanywhere command to view information about Outlook Anywhere on your server. Are you using a self signed certificate?

Greg Negelow MCITP Enterprise Administrator | MCITP EMA 2010

R

raman03

Hello Rvt,

Yes, I did run the " Set-MailboxDatabase <name> -RPCClientAccessServer <internal_only_CAS_Array_FQDN>" and now when I do get-clientaccessarray it shows me all the CAS servers in it's " member's" list.

Hello Tevako,

In my opinion Outlook anywhere is being used by defulat when following options are checked: -

Under Microsoft Exchaneg Proxy settings

On fast networks
On Slow networks

I do not think that if you do not have Outlook Anywhere enabeld, you can not connect using Outlook to your mailbox.

In our case Outlook anywhere is enabled. In case if it does not enable or not working properly Outlook should still connect.

We are using digicert certificate. We have all the host names related with OWA, OUtlookAnywhere, Autodiscover and server's internal FQDN.

Thansk,

Raman

T

tevako

Right that was in Outlook 2003, but, in 2007 and 2010 it uses the Autodiscover.xml file that it downloads from Outlook Anywhere to determine whether or not to connect from the internal or external URL. It does the same thing when you are away from the office. You can still set your RPC over HTTP settings manually and even use two different profiles as you usually did in the past, but, first what you may want to do is to try to set up your connection manually in Outlook and specify your exchange server and the user name. When you set it up manually does it work? Does it prompt you for a user name and password? It should not prompt you for a user name and password inside your network like that. Try this and see what happens. If it's prompting you still for a username and password is it doing it for all machines or just some?Greg Negelow MCITP Enterprise Administrator | MCITP EMA 2010

R

raman03

Hello Tevako,

I am able to access Exchange 2010 mailbox using outlook 2010 and connected to our Lan (network) but when I use individual CAS server name.

But when I use the CAS array while creating new profile in Outlook. Which Outlook picks up automatically it does the following: -

1) Establish network connection. (It completes successfully).

2) Search for testuserid@company.com server settings. (It completes successfully).

3) Log on to Server. At this point Outlook keeps asking me for ID and password.

If I cancel that prompt. It shows me " General" window which has " Microsoft Exchange Server" as " casarray.company.com"

" Mailbox" as mailbox name.

Anyways, I am wondering could it be a port issue on load balancer., which is handling casarray. What port should Outlook be using?

Thanks,

Raman

R

raman03

Hello James,

We are looking on our load balancer (F5 devices) for any issues.

I will let you know if we find something.

Raman

R

raman03

Hello,

I have another question when I run the command get-clientaccessarray it shows me CAS server names under " members" .

We have 4 CAS servers but we only want to use 2 CAS servers in this Array. Because on our load balancer array we only add 2 CAS servers.

How can I remove 2 CAS server names from clientaccessarray in Exchange 2010?

I tried set-clientaccessarray but it did not work to remove 2 CAS server names.

Thanks,

Raman

J

James-Luo

You can"t. The array object is logical, and will contain all the CAS in an AD site, and has no impact on traffic or load balancing, which is the job of the admin to control by using NLB

So any CAS server in the same AD site will show as the member in CAS array automatically

James Luo

R

Raul2011

Hello,

I am also having same trouble using CASarray FQDN Outlook.domain.com

Basically I have 2 Exchange servers Hub/CAS/Mailbox installed which are part of one DAG.

I have created CAS array and also created A record for outlook.domain.com into DNS. I am planning to use hardware LB to for CAS array.

Although at this moment, my focus is to just get CAS array URL working for Outlook 2007 configuration.

When I create Outlook profile with CAS1.domain.com , it works fine. Outlook and exchange RPC encryption is available.

But when I am using Casarray FQDN which is outlook.domain.com it is not checking the user name and it stucks for few mins and gives me below error.

The action could not be completed. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action" .

I have tried recreating AutoDiscover virtual directory in IIS on both CAS servers. Added Autodiscover A record in DNS.

I have added Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity CASServer -AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri https://outlook.domain.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml

Everything is in same subnet. no networking issue. DAG is up and running.

I have also researched a lot to fix this. But I am not finding any solution. I appreciate if anyone can help me troubelshoot this.

Thanks in adavance.