Cannot display the folder. There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more pro

• Thread starter Nourelain
  • Start date Views 3,392
N

Nourelain

Since Outlook 2007 SP2, whenever I used Outlook for some time (5-10 minutes), I start getting the error

" Cannot expand the folder. There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more programs, and then try again."

When I quit Outlook and open it up again, I can then again work for 5 - 10 minutes before receiving the error again. The error appears whenever clicking or expanding a folder (public folder or mailbox folder) except for the Inbox, which is always working, but for example clicking on " Sent Items" or " Outbox" produces the error, as well as any Public folder.

When the error occurs, mail in the Outbox also doesn't get sent until I restart Outlook. This problem occurs in Outlook 2007 and 2010. I was running Outlook 2007 on WinXP with all the latest service packs installed. Outlook 2007 was running in Exchange Cache mode, in RPC mode (not RPCover HTTP), and I was connected to the office by VPN. I have disabled all add-ins, there is plenty of memory available (no other programs running and 2GB free memory available out of 4GB), I have tried fixing the .ost file (3.5GB) with scanost.exe, I even tried creating a new .ost file, the same error occurs over and over again. OL 2007 was running fine for a long time (more than a year) with the same .ost file, same connection, same Outlook profile, even with some Add-ins enabled. The errors started appearing only after installing Office SP2. I guess some Office update or service pack must have created the problem.

Now I'm using Office 2010 with a new Outlook profile, this time with a different Exchange Server (Exchange 2010), with Exchange Cached Mode, running with a server with RPC over HTTP, with a new OST, same problem. Even on another computer running Windows 7 creates the same problem. I was told by an MVP there is a connection limit now introduced since OL 2007 SP2, where Outlook has this problem after making more than 11750 requests. The connection dialog (right-click on OL icon in status bar) proves this: once the limit is reached, OL starts to behave like this.

Error messages on OL2010 are as follows:

Task 'Microsoft Exchange' reported error (0x8007000E) : 'Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again.Cannot display the folder. There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more programs, and then try again.Cannot expand the folder. There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more programs, and then try again.Cannot expand the folder. There is not enough memory available to perform the operation.

When is Microsoft expected to ship a patch that will correct this problem? Restarting Outlook every 10 minutes is simply ridiculous. Working like that a disaster.The problem occurs when connections pass a certain amount. Since in Exchange Cache mode Public Folders as well as Mailbox folders get synchronized, this limit is only reached in Cache mode because many connections are opened to synchronize the folders. I do need Cache mode, working in online mode is too slow. In addition to that, Desktop search is also indexing the Public folders, which might add to the connections.

The Problem occurs on several computers, also on computers of my colleagues, with WinXP, Win7, with Outlook 2007 and 2010, with Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010, with RPC or RPC over HTTP.

We now have a hosted server with an Exchange hosting provider, and we do have the same problem there too, it is definitly related to Outlook, Outlook also reports errors in background synchronization when the problem occurs.

I was told by a MS MVP already in May last year that this problem i known by Microsoft. He had the same problem too and several customers reported it in the forums. He then told the product development team at MS, and they wanted to look into it, at the same time confirmed that a connection limit was introduced in either OL2007 SP2 or 3, but apparently they never fixed that. Now with OL2010, the same problem persists.

Fixing the OST did not help, even with a complete new OST the problem occurs, disabling all ADD-INs didn't help either. All of this and looking at the number of connections proves that it has to do with this connection limit. Why this limit was introduced I don't know.

I have to leave downloading Public Folders enabled for several reasons:

to have a backup copy of Public Folders in case anytime our Exchange hosting provider goes bozoto be able to search them with Desktop Search for speed issues as we frequently use them

One of the big problems with this is also (apart from being very annoying to restart Outlook about 10 or more times each day) that I'm not sure if all of the Public folders really get synchronized. We have about 2000 Public Folders and checking each one would be a nightmare. Since the background synchronization fails every time because of the connection limit, I don't know if the next time it will start to synchronize the folders where it cut off the last time, or if it starts from scratch. Most probably the latter is true and some Public folders may never get synchronized.

What can I do? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Adrian

N

Nourelain

I did post in this forum, but nobody is taking note. You as a support engineer might have means to forward this problem to your Outlook developers, right?

Adrian

N

Nourelain

For issues related to Exchange server account in Outlook, you may post your question in the forum link given below:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchangesvrclients/threads

Sachin: I did post to this forum but nobody answers there.

Addition Oct 10, 2010: Does Microsoft really not care about this bug??? I thought that many MS Support Professionals are reading these forums, and after all this time no reply at all from any of them??? Do I really have to pay a Support Incident to report a bug to Microsoft???

N

Nourelain

On the link you provided, there is no bug report facility for either Outlook or Exchange Server.

N

Nourelain

Your link points to Product Support Services. Do I really have to pay a Support Incident to report a bug to Microsoft??? There is no free support provided for Outlook when used with Microsoft Exchange Server. Why don't you forward it if you work for Microsoft Support? Aren't you interested that your software works???

D

dcrepeault

Ive got the same problem with one of my clients. If you find an answer, let me know...Thanks.

N

Nourelain

I have opened a Support case with Microsoft and they have now confirmed that this is a bug in Outlook.

Since Public Folders are deprecated since Exchange 2007 and will not be available in the next Exchange Server version after Exchange 2010, they are not putting a lot of effort on this bug and postponed it to the next version of Outlook, but it is also unlikely that they will fix it in the next Outlook version.

So the only solution is to not use a lot of folders with Exchange Cache mode (neither Mailbox nor Public Folders) to avoid this problem, as Outlook cannot handle them.