Clicking and dragging to moving groups of messages to a folder does not move messages, but creates the action 'copy here as a message...'

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cutt

Has anyone seen this problem? When I try to manually click and drag groups of messages to be moved to a folder, Outlook does not move messages, but rather creates a new email message with those messages being moved attached (similar to the action "copy here as a message...").

I have found that I can move the messages one by one without any problem and the same problematic result can be recreated when moving to a folder on the server or within a pst folder. I am open to idea or suggestions...I'm stumped!

R

Russ Valentine

What Outlook does depends on what type of folder you are dragging to. You appear not to be dragging them to a message folder. Examine the properties of the destination folder. The better way to perform this task is to select the messages and use Outlook's "Copy to Folder..." or "Move to Folder..." command.Russ Valentine

C

Cutt

Yes, the folder the messages are being dragged to are message folders. I have even created new folders within the PST folder and server mailbox to drag and drop the messages there with the same result, where a new message is created and the items dragged are attached to the message. What particular properties should I be looking for that may indicate something is misconfigured?

I should have also stated in the original thread, I tried to righ click on the selected messages to be moved to use the "Copy to Folder..." or "Move to Folder..." command, but I only had 4-5 different variations of "copy here as a message...". I even tried to highlight the messages to be moved, hit ctrl-x and then go to the destination folder and hit ctrl-v and got the same "copy here as a message..." result.

After moving all of the messages one by one, I found one of the messages, a meeting invite response, may have been the problem when all of the messages were attempted to being moved. The problem seems to have gone away, but I still don't have a root cause. ????

R

Russ Valentine

Nor do we. There was obviously more to your problem than you revealed. Not sure why a PST file would even be in play if you're running against Exchange server. It shouldn't be. At any rate, the information you leave out is ususally where the problem resides, so it is up to you to figure it out.Russ Valentine

C

Cutt

The PST is used as an archive folder only, to move messages from the server to an offline PST folder, thus it is in play for the scenario. Alternatively, the same problem can be replicated with folders created within the Exchange Server Mailbox for the profile.

If there are missing details, what additional detail is needed? I believe I am presenting all of the relevant facts to describe this problem being experienced. Just looking for other root causes or ideas around this problem to prevent and resolve in the future. Thanks.

R

Russ Valentine

Most Exchange administrators prefer you not have a PST file in an Exchange profile, but I've never seen it cause this issue. I suspect that at least one of the messages had a property that kept it from being recognized as a message. Has the problem gone away after you got rid of the meeting invite?Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.