Display CONTACT folders as nested (AKA Tree)

• Thread starter Carl2222
  • Start date Views 1,759
C

Carl2222

Is there a way to display contact folders as nested or in a tree structure? If not, can you point me to an add-in? If no way to do this, wonder why not...is it because of smart phone syncing?

M

Milly Staples - MVP Outlook

You don't say if the contact folders are all in the same mail store or not. If they are, simply drag the contact folders you wish displayed beneath your main contact folder to that folder. Once all have been added to the main contact folder, use the + to expand the tree to show all of your folders.

If they are not in the same store, please provide more details as to where they ARE located and the types of mail accounts that hold the contacts.

" Carl2222" wrote in message news:576314d1-2ece-4ef9-bcf7-7a72ab849982@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Is there a way to display contact folders as nested or in a tree structure? If not, can you point me to an add-in? If no way to do this, wonder why not...is it because of smart phone syncing?

C

Carl2222

The contacts folders are all in the same mail store and there is no + sign. When you click on CONTACTS in the navigation pane the contacts window appears.

In contacts window there is a default Group called MY CONTACTS.

Under default MY CONTACTS group is default CONTACTS folder. I created sub folders under CONTACTS, called FRIENDS, FAMILY, etc. I want them to display as trees. If you right click a folder and select MOVE...you SEE A TREE STRUCTURE on the MOVE DIALOG WINDOW. I want the CONTACTS NAVIGATION PANE to ALSO show a tree structure...just like the MOVE DIAGLOG does.

Again...there is no + sign. There are expansion triangles similar to + signs on the *MAIL* navigation pane...but I am referring to the *CONTACTS* navigation pane. I WISH the CONTACTS NAVIGATION PANE worked similar to the MAIL NAVIGATION PANE so the UI would be consistent, but it appears it is not.

I'll send pictures of CONTACTS NAVIGATION PANE and MOVE DIALOG WINDOW if the ability to provide attachments appears...don't see it anywhere right now. Thanks!!!!

M

Milly Staples - MVP Outlook

What shows if you use the All Folders view of your navigation pane? AFAIK, the Contacts view will show all individual contacts folders on their own, not nested.

" Carl2222" wrote in message news:2f63638d-fcb2-44ec-b74e-ee6e46fb0b8a@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

The contacts folders are all in the same mail store and there is no + sign. When you click on CONTACTS in the navigation pane the contacts window appears.

In contacts window there is a default Group called MY CONTACTS.

Under default MY CONTACTS group is default CONTACTS folder. I created sub folders under CONTACTS, called FRIENDS, FAMILY, etc. I want them to display as trees. If you right click a folder and select MOVE...you SEE A TREE STRUCTURE on the MOVE DIALOG WINDOW. I want the CONTACTS NAVIGATION PANE to ALSO show a tree structure...just like the MOVE DIAGLOG does.

Again...there is no + sign. There are expansion triangles similar to + signs on the *MAIL* navigation pane...but I am referring to the *CONTACTS* navigation pane. I WISH the CONTACTS NAVIGATION PANE worked similar to the MAIL NAVIGATION PANE so the UI would be consistent, but it appears it is not.

I'll send pictures of CONTACTS NAVIGATION PANE and MOVE DIALOG WINDOW if the ability to provide attachments appears...don't see it anywhere right now. Thanks!!!!

C

Carl2222

Yes, clicking on ALL folders shows the contact tree structure. But I don't want to see all the email, task, notes, RSS folders when viewing contact folders.

I don't think there is a way around this. I was hoping there was some setting somewhere but I can't find it. Hopefully this is changed in future releases. The UI should be consistent. I don't know what somebody was thinking. I bet many people don't even realize some of their contacts folders are nested! So if they delete the parent folder...BOOM, the rest go too! I just tested it. I bet that generates unnecessary support calls!!

If you know of a regestry setting or something let me know...I'm a pretty advanced user...just new to Outlook. Thanks!!!

R

Russ Valentine

Actually, this is not a problem anyone has complained about. Most advanced users know which views to use to display their data they way they want. This issue is not likely to rise to a threshold that it needs to be " fixed." If you think it should, open a support incident with Microsoft.Russ Valentine

C

Carl2222

I still think an inconsistent UI should be changed in future releases. I'm not stating it is a bug that needs to be " fixed" (as in soon) and did not use those words. Sorry for the implication though! I am passionate about UI consistency and I get frustrated when I don't see it. For example, WORD not having an easy drag margin ability in print preview yet EXCEL does...maybe that has changed since 2007. And yes I know about the ruler!

PS I'm not a Microsoft basher...did a lot of research before buying Outlook 2010 and I'm happy thus far.

Thanks!!!

Your help is always appreciated, regardless of the outcome.