How do I deal with my attorneys switching judges, causing their future calendar appointments to change?

• Thread starter edwimb
  • Start date Views 702
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edwimb

Hello,
I work for a law firm and we are preparing to start using Exchange for the first time. Up until this point, we've used a POP server for email and a separate calendaring program for our calendaring needs.
Our secretaries schedule the attorney court dates and client meetings for the attorneys in this calendar program. About every 6 months or so our attorneys will switch to a different judge, meaning all the appointments in the future will now belong to a different attorney. Right now when this happens, we just go into the calendaring program and change the username of the attorney to the attorney that is replacing him and vice versa. This quickly swaps the calendars and we go on working.
In Exchange, email is tied to the calendar so this won't be a good option. What is the best way for me to handle this with Exchange? So far I've thought of setting up a room account for each courtroom and have the secretaries book the court dates in there, then invite the attorneys to each meeting. When the attorneys switch, all the dates will still be in the courtroom calendar. We just need to have them go through and invite the new replacing attorney, and deinvite the old, and the attorneys will need to delete all the old meetings they were invited to. As you can imagine, this would be a pain.
Is there a better way to do this?
Exchange 2010 SP1
Server 2008 Standard
Outlook 2003
Mix of Windows 7 and Windows XP clients

M

Michel de Rooij

E

edwimb

This doesn't have anything to do with time zones.

I'm trying to find the best way to move calendar appointments from one mailbox to another, or if I should even be attempting to do this.

Suppose you had a conference room that would randomly switch locations with another conference room every 6 months. How would you go about changing all of your users calendar appointments to the correct conference room?

M

Michel de Rooij

Location is just an attribute, that's why I mentioned the time zone thing which might not apply, but I could decide that since I'm not familiar with the business process. Going by your followup, I have more of a clue what's going on. Just copying/pasting the agenda is labor intensive and prone to error IMHO. However, your scheduling requirements are a bit uncommon, so let me ponder on that.

Michel de Rooij,
MCITP Ent.Msg 2007+2010| MCTS W2008, Ex2007+2010 Conf, OCS2007 Conf | MCSE+Msg2k3 | MCSE+Inet2k3 | Prince2 Fnd | ITIL
I blog on http://eightwone.wordpress.com/ and tweet on http://twitter.com/mderooij

E

edwimb

Any word on this? Thank you for looking into this by the way.

It's looking like I'm just going to have to make the secretaries change all the future meeting attendees manually if no one can come up with anything.

B

Brian Day MCITP

What attribute is the anchor which won't change? The court room itself, the judge, something else? If each judge is *always* in the same courtroom then I would setup mailboxes as the judges and invite the attorneys. If judges can change court rooms, but the cases stay in the courtrooms then I would setup mailboxes as the courtrooms and invite the attorneys.

E

edwimb

The attorneys are going to be on one judges docket, then 6 months down the road or so they will be on a different judges docket.

If I setup a mailbox as a judge and invited the attorney, the attorney would be able to see all of the judges appointments. However, I would like for each attorney to be able to open Outlook, click on calendar, and just see what they have to do. If we did it this way, they will have 1 calendar with their personal stuff and a separate one with the judges stuff. They could easily double book appointments this way.

To get around that, on the judges calendar appointments I will have the secretaries invite the attorneys as attendees to the meeting. That way it will show up on each attorneys calendar and everything will be in one place for them.

With it set up like this, if an attorney switches to another judge all of the meetings in the future in which they are invited as an attendee will be incorrect. How can I easily change all of those future appointments to the correct judge?

B

Brian Day MCITP

If I setup a mailbox as a judge and invited the attorney, the attorney would be able to see all of the judges appointments. However, I would like for each attorney to be able to open Outlook, click on calendar, and just see what they have to do. If we did it this way, they will have 1 calendar with their personal stuff and a separate one with the judges stuff. They could easily double book appointments this way.

That isn't necessarilly true. Configure the Judge's mailbox to only show free/busy by default without details (which it should be by default anyways) or configure it to show 'nothing'.

I don't see how this would cause a double booking opportunity. They'd be invited to the judge's meeting and it would show up on their normal Outlook calendar as a meeting to attend with the judge.

E

edwimb

I'm saying if I had 2 calendars, 1 for the docket/judge and 1 for the attorney, and I didn't invite any attendees to the docket/judge one, that would create a double booking opportunity. There would be two calendars and the attorneys would be responsible for looking at both to make sure there are no overlapping meetings. This is bad, I don't want this.

Now, if I keep these same two calendars, and then invite the attorneys as attendees to the docket/judge calendar meetings, the meetings will show up on the individual attorneys calendar as well as all be in the docket/judge calendar. This is good, I want this. The only thing bad about this is when the attorneys switch to another docket/judge. When they do, all the future appointments for the attorney will be wrong as they were invited as an attendee to their old docket/judge. All the meetings will have to be edited manually to correct this, and all the new meetings will have to be edited to invite the new attorney. We will at least have all the meetings listed in each docket/judge calendar but a lot of editing will need to be done and mistakes can be made easily. This is bad, I don't want this.

Is there anything else I can do?

Status
Not open for further replies.