Entering new contacts in Outlook 2010 - they go to the same catagory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seenamom

My boss and I are new to the 2010 version of Outlook. He previously didn't have Outlook. He has imported his list of contacts, but when he tries to enter new names/emails, they go to the same place in the catagory list (the bottom). Does he need to create subfolders in My Contacts and drag all the appropriate names into the correct folder?

S

seenamom

In playing around with my own list a little, I see if I enter a new contact I also need to assign a catagory to it before saving it. If none are chosen, it defaults to the bottom of the list. It's kind of like an uncatagorized section.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Yes, or you can assign the categories to the items after the fact as well. Right-click a contact and choose Categorize, or open the Contact and click Categorize on the Ribbon. Each item can have one or more categories, but they're not automatic - you have to assign them.

If you change your Contacts view (View | Change View) to a "By Category" view you can also drag/drop items from one category to another including dragging from the "No Category" group to one of the categories and Outlook will tag those items with that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.