Organize using colors: rule not applied when my name is in a long list in the 'To' field

• Thread starter kerkom
  • Start date Views 730
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kerkom

I am using Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2007.

I have a rule that colors all mails, with my account in "To" field, green. This works fine most of the time.
But when there are a lot of entries in the "To" field, the mail is not colored.

Is this a bug? Can it be resolved?

Regards,

Peter

R

Roady [MVP]

What is the exact Automatic Formatting rule that you created?

Using the Advanced tab and then creating a rule with the "contains" condition usually works more reliable.

K

kerkom

That is the way I created it. It works most of the time, but it looks like it is only processing a limit amount of characters in the To field.

R

Roady [MVP]

Try it with a regular rule; If the message is sent directly to you, assign it to the category "to me". You can then create an Automattic Formatting rule to mark everything that has been assigned the "to me" categorie with a green font.

It's a workaround but it should be effective ;-)

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

That is the way I created it. It works most of the time, but it looks like it is only processing a limit amount of characters in the To field.

It could be stopping at 256 characters (that is a common limit in other areas) - if so, you'll need to apply a category then set up the rule based on the category.

But - Are you putting your display name or email address in the To field? Try typing your email address in the Sent to field on the General tab. Advanced may use the display name.

K

kerkom

Hi robert,

I tried it with setting the categorie, but it has the same effect: it only works for messages with a short list in the To field.

Regards,

Peter

K

kerkom

Hi Diane,

I am using the display name. I already tried it with the email address but it has the same effect.

It looks like the categorie rule has the same limitation as these mails are not categorized as "to me" (cfr. Roberts suggestion).

Regards,

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.