__Task 'pop3.earthlink.net - Receiving' reported error (0x8004010A) : 'The operation cannot be perfo

• Thread starter dharmagirl
  • Start date Views 2,237
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dharmagirl

Hi there... TIA in advance for helping me to resolve the above error message.

Yesterday my computer blue screened while I was in one of my Outlook user profiles. I was able to repair it using advice from this forum on repairing .pst files. I was able to receive messages in a recovery folder name Lost and Found, in a subfolder named 8082 or something like that.

I noticed that my Inbox folder was missing, so I created a new folder and copied the messages in the recovered folder to it, and deleted the Lost and Found folder. Now I cannot receive messages in the problem profile. Other profiles work fine.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

sherry

Brian Tillman

The Lost and Found entry was your Inbox. The PST internal data structures still pointed to it. In reality, the name " Inbox" isn't really the important value. The pointers to it are. By manually creating a new one and deleting the real one (even though it had a different name) you ruined the PST. Were this to happen to me, I'd start with a new PST, make it the delivery location, then copy the stuff in the old PST to the new. Once that's finished, you can close the old one to remove it from Outlook.

D

dharmagirl

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Brian.

What I ended up doing is creating a new Outlook profile and exporting the mail from the corrupted profile to it -- which I believe is what you are suggesting.

I like having my Inbox named Inbox and not 8082!

Sherry

Brian Tillman

It is unnecessary and ill-advised use export or import to move mail from one Outlook instance to another. And you never have to use export or import to move data from one profile to another. You didn't need to create a new profile and you certainly didn't need to export. Anyway, if you're happy, that's what counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.